Gluten Free In Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Any food restriction is not fun, and having to eat gluten-free ranks among the worst of them, with gluten sneaking up in soy sauce, salad dressings, soups, shampoo – you name it! Whether you suffer from Coeliac disease, a gluten intolerance, a gluten sensitivity, or even a wheat allergy, you know the routine of pouring through ingredients lists, calling restaurants, and the regular nerves before eating out (and after eating out…). Luckily, Exeter boasts a broad range of gluten-aware restaurants!

Tea on the Green

Possibly with the most (and yummiest, in this author’s opinion) gluten-free options, Tea on the Green is a quaint tea-house overlooking the Cathedral. They offer gluten-free bread and rolls for their breakfasts, sandwiches, and alongside soups. Multiple cakes and tea cakes are also made gluten free. Their greatest asset, however, are the fabulous gluten-free scones (served with Afternoon Tea after 2:30pm) which definitely rival their evil gluteny equivalents in taste. Best of all, the staff is knowledgeable and willing to check on dubious items.

Boston Tea Party

If you’re still in the tea mood, check out the more hip Boston Tea Party. Although they do not offer gluten free scones or breakfast items, they more than willingly replace sandwich bread with gluten free bread, and also serve gluten free brownies and other cake items daily.

Ruby’s

If you’re feeling a little more American, check out Ruby’s American Diner. Apart from their (naturally) gluten-free milkshakes, Ruby’s is famous for their hamburgers, and for the First Time Ever us glutinas don’t have to eat sad bun-less slabs of meat. Inform your waiter or waitress of your restriction and they will make sure the burger is made without soy sauce, as well as serve it with its very own gluten free bun!

[pagebreak]

The Waterfront

Located on the beautiful Quay, The Waterfront boasts what is maybe the best pizza in Exeter…and this includes gluten free pizza! Unlike usual gluten free pizza crusts that are tasteless and flat, these crusts are full of taste and reminiscent of sourdough bread. It was so good I had to quiz the waiter three times the first time I ate there just to make sure it was ACTUALLY gluten free (it was!).

Exploding Bakery

A very tiny, very hipster establishment, the Exploding Bakery serves naturally gluten free tortillas daily, as well as an assortment of gluten free cakes. Be sure to try their gluten free brownies, which have been known to convert “normal people” to the gluten free way (a first!).

Dominos and Pizza Hut

Last but not least, don’t feel left out next time your friends do a pizza delivery at 2am after a night out. Both Dominos and Pizza Hut now serve gluten free personal size pizzas!

This is not an exhaustive list. I’ve found that if you just ask, many restaurants in Exeter are able to help you navigate a gluteny menu. And like always, if you’re ever feeling downtrodden about your food restriction, just remember how much better you feel without the gluten! Good luck and happy eating!

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com, www.tripadvisor.co.uk, www.geograph.org.uk