Get Lost in an Adventure with these Fantasy Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Looking for a way to escape from looming coursework deadlines, career planning pressure or just the gloomy weather outside? Simply pick up a book to whisk yourself away to a distant land where the adventure is yet to begin. For inspiration on which mythical, magical or futuristic world you wish to venture into, here are a few of my favourite fantasy book series…

The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir

To avenge the Martial Empire’s unjust arrest of her brother and brutal murder of her grandparents, Laia infiltrates the Empire’s greatest military academy in an effort to bring an end to their tyrannic reign.

The author beautifully interweaves this undeniably harrowing tale with just enough moments of joy, friendship and romance to give the reader hope for the characters. You will be gripped by the unpredictable journeys the main characters are forced to struggle and fight through. It is particularly empowering to watch the parallel evolution of the two central women over the series, as one gains confidence in her capabilities, while the other learns to use her strength to help those around her.

Shades of Magic Trilogy by V. E. Schwab

While travelling across parallel Londons – some that resemble our own more than others – the magician Kell uses his powers in an attempt to repair the bonds between the decaying worlds and keep the evil forces at bay.

This story keeps you on your toes throughout. The stakes only seem to grow with each turn of the page. The fast-paced nature of the adventure transforms the chapters into a cinematic experience. The lively dialogue and dramatic action sequences keep the excitement high, while the flawed yet endearing characters keep you hooked till the very end.

Red Rising Original Trilogy by Pierce Brown

The trilogy tracks the tumultuous rise of Darrow – a member of the lowest social class – as he fights to bring justice for his people by infiltrating the highest and most ruthless echelon of society.

While Darrow is an easy main character to root for due to his brave and honourable motives, the circle of friends that band around him is really what makes these books stick with you for a long time after reading. Their raw honesty, yet devoted loyalty, fuel Darrow’s rise to power and help him become the leader his people need. Amidst epic intergalactic battles and emotionally charged showdowns, his interactions with his friends buoy the story with a necessary source of light and hope.

Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

An eclectic group of dangerous outcasts band together to pull off an impossible heist, only to have to then win a pivotal war against their city’s underworld.

Despite the crew’s often ambiguous morals, you will become truly concerned with the fate of each. This is testament to the author’s ability to develop every member’s backstory with attention and care. As a result, the most gripping moments of the duology are intensified by the connection you form to the characters. There are many such scenes as the author has the penchant for constantly flipping which side has the upper hand. The emotionally satisfying ending will ensure that this series becomes an immediate favourite.

A psychology student who loves all things fashion, film and fiction