This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, HCX is meeting with George Watkins, the star of Exeter’s most prestigious theatre company, EUTCo’s, production of Amadeus, on at the Northcott Theatre from the 6th of February. Here he talks to us about acting, nerves and skin tight costumes…

Name:  George Watkins

Year: Second

Degree: Drama

Hometown:  London

So what’s the play about?

The play is basically about my character’s (Antonio Salieri) relationship with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (played by Ryan Whittle) and the drama that proceeds once this very eccentric character arrives in Vienna. If I could sum it up in three words: Sex, God, Music.

What are the highlights of your acting experiences? Exeter or elsewhere?

I would say that performing with the National Youth Theatre last summer was one of my favourite experiences in drama and a real highlight for me. Although to be honest, playing Salieri in Amadeus is by far the most challenging and daunting task I have ever undertaken and is something that I’m sure I’ll never forget!

Do you get nervous before performing? How do you combat your nerves?

Always! But also incredibly excited. I think if you’re not nervous before a performance then you lack energy on stage. To combat this I’d say I need to be alone just before I go on stage to compose myself and also make sure my basic bodily functions are working. I’m still waiting for the time for when I go out there and forget how to speak.

Any embarrassing experiences onstage?

Yes plenty, but I think my highlight is when in my A – level performance, I had to wear a skin tight space costume. It wasn’t until afterwards that my cast notified me that under the stage lights, certain areas were very pronounced. I think I’ll leave that to your imagination but I got a good mark, so hey, the markers must have seen something they liked!

What else are you involved in on campus?

To be honest, not much. Amadeus takes up a lot of time and I think if I tried juggling any other societies I would probably fail my degree. I do play intramural basketball and occasionally try to beat my friends at squash, but that’s about it.

What are your favourite things to do in Exeter?

IMPY.

And finally, what are the three top played songs on your iPod?

It’s a really weird mix, but Your Song – Ewan McGregor. Absolutely love Moulin Rouge. Niggas In Paris – Jay-Z and Kanye West, for obvious reasons. And probably, Lionheart by Afrojack.

If George has enticed you to see Amadeus, follow this link to book tickets! http://www.exeternorthcott.co.uk/amadeus