This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whether you’re spending Valentines with a partner, your gal pals, your parents or alone in your room, these films are sure to add a little spice to your evening. So here are the ultimate 14 movies to watch on the 14th of February. 

The Notebook 

A 1940s Romeo and Juliet, Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) and rich girl Allie (Rachel McAdams) are desperately in love… but her parents disapprove. The Notebook is the pinnacle of Hollywood romance, and the first place you should start. 

The Notebook
New Line Cinema

10 Things I Hate About You

A modern take on Shakespeare’s ‘Taming of the Shrew,’ with this 90s classic you can explore all the drama of a Shakespeare play without any of the 16th century jargon. Also, Heath Ledger plays the lead romantic interest. What more could you want? 

Bridgerton 

I know it’s a series not a film, but as it only took me a day to get through every episode I’m going to count it on this list. Bridgerton has essentially mixed Pride and Prejudice with Gossip Girl and the result will sweep you off your feet. 

Daphne and Simon from Bridgerton
Shondaland / Netflix

About Time 

I’m certain that everything Rachel McAdams touches turns into romantic comedy gold and About Time is no different. On his 21st birthday, Tim (Domnhall Geeson) finds out he can time travel. He uses his power to win the girl (Rachel McAdams), and the life, of his dreams. 

Notting Hill

Young Hugh Grant playing a bookish sweetheart. That’s all. 

Notting Hill gif
Giphy

Valentine’s Day

This one had to make the list for obvious reasons. But it’s also a great movie if you loved the interwoven plot lines of New Year’s Eve, Love Actually or Crazy Stupid Love. It follows multiple Los Angeles resident’s experiences on Valentine’s Day, with cameos from Taylor Swift amongst many other notable names. 

Legally Blonde

A romantic comedy which passes the Bechdel test! Sorority sweetheart, Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) attends Harvard law school and crushes sexist stereotypes all whilst looking immaculate in her pink ensembles. It’s a modern woman’s dream. 

Legally Blonde
MGM Distribution Co.

Easy A

After clean cut teen, Olive (Emma Stone), lies about losing her virginity, her life becomes something of a parallel to Hester Prynne’s ‘The Scarlet Letter.’ My only wish for this movie is that Olive’s parents had more screen time. 

If Beale Street Could Talk 

Tish (Kiki Layne) and her artistic fiancé Alonzo Hunt (Stephan James) are exited for their future together… until Alonzo is arrested for a crime he did not commit. A more alternative choice to the usual romance movie, If Beale Street Could Talk is less comedy, and more hard-hitting drama. 

Dirty Dancing 

Baby (Jennifer Grey) is on vacation with her family when she is drawn into the world of the resort’s entertainers… My mum and I must have watched this movie a hundred times. I’m sure if I tried I could quote the whole thing from memory. Still trying to really crack down that lift though. 

Dirty Dancing
Great American Films Limited Partnership

Daddy’s Little Girls 

An incredible film for many reasons: Daddy’s Little Girls fights back at the widely portrayed narrative of black fathers in film and TV. Idris Elba plays a recently divorced Dad fighting for the custody of his kids, whilst falling for the lawyer (Gabrielle Union) he employs to help him. 

Pretty Woman 

Edward (Richard Gere), is a wealthy broker who picks up a prostitute, Vivian (Julia Roberts), and hires her to stay with him for the weekend. Pretty Woman is essentially an adult version of Cinderella, with almost perfect execution. 

Bridget Jones Diary

This one is less for the hopeless romantics and more for the hopeless at romance. Bridget Jones is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Helen Fielding. It follows a thirty something single Bridget (Renée Zellweger) as she tries to navigate two very different love interests. 

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Three films with Hugh Grant have made it onto this list, but can you honestly blame me? To be honest, his love interest in this movie makes me want to tear my hair out, but it makes it on the list for the beautiful plot and well written characters. Be cautious though, this movie might make you cry.

I'm in my third year at the University of Exeter taking an English degree. I'm the fashion editor for our chapter this year, and my main focus is on how to be more earth-friendly whilst staying stylish and not breaking the bank. I also love sharing stories inspired by my part-time job, my long-term relationship, and my small business!