Foreign Festivals 101: A Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When it comes to choosing a festival, there may be a certain charm to unpredictable English weather and mud covered wellies. Then again, the chance to swap parkas for bikinis and watch some amazing acts from a beachside location is an opportunity that cannot be missed. So if you’re fleeing the country to get your festival fix this summer, here are some top tips to ensure your trip is unforgettable.

First thing first – pack wisely. Finding the balance between holiday and festival is never simple. If you’re going somewhere warm, you’ll probably spend most of your time in swimwear so make sure you bring options. Don’t underestimate the importance of a swimming costume – both fashion forward and providing more cover, costumes are a must have.  Also, consider your footwear. Although you may not need wellies, you’ll still want something that will stay on your feet in a busy crowd so sandals with straps are an essential.

When you arrive, don’t just limit yourself to the festival grounds. One of the pros of foreign festivals is you can have the best of both worlds; memorable acts and a new culture. Make the most of your trip and explore the area. Utilise your time and, when the festival isn’t running, adventure further afar. From secret beaches to city life, there will be plenty to see. Who needs sleep anyway? 

Although you might be busy having the time of your life, remember the important stuff. Make sure you keep your valuables safe throughout the festival. The last thing you want is to arrive at the airport, hungover, sleep deprived and desperate for some home comforts, only to discover your passport has gone AWOL. Instead, embrace the iconic bumbag and keep your valuables secure.

Finally, look after yourself. While copious amounts of alcohol and a hangover-curing carb fest the following day might make for a fun week, your body won’t exactly thank you. Ok, so you’re probably not planning a detox, but do make sure some water and vegetables enter your body alongside the cocktails and cheeseburgers.  (And yes, Pina Coladas totally count as one of your five a day).  

So, in summary, explore, don’t lose things and eat something other than chips. Simple, right? That way, you’ll be free to cover yourself in glitter and dance the night away, carefree!

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.