Wellness > Health

Five ways to help you combat discomfort during your period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Being on your period can be a real pain (literally), and figuring out ways to get through it whilst minimising discomfort can be tricky. Each woman’s cycle varies massively, and some of us sadly have to navigate irritating cramps, migraines and nausea whilst getting on with our lives. Over the counter medication is obviously always an option, but sometimes it doesn’t touch the pain and possibly you may want to try something more natural. Thankfully, there are loads of ways to help you get through your period seamlessly and make it less of an inconvenience.

1. Hot water bottle

This is a really quick fix for when you are in pain; investing in a nice fluffy hot water bottle is so worth it and is also very comforting. It has even been suggested that this can be just as effective as taking over the counter medication, so if this is something that you haven’t tried before then it is definitely worth giving it a go.

2. Warm bath or shower

Like the hot water bottle, I always find that heat helps to reduce the pain from cramps when I am on my period. This is also cathartic, especially if you get a nice Lush bath bomb or bubble bar as pampering yourself is an easy way to perk yourself up.  

3. Exercise

I know, this is the last thing that you want to do when you are feeling bloated and gross, however it really does work. If I am feeling low on energy then even a short session in the gym can help to revive me, and I find that when I am focused on working out it is easier to put any discomfort or pain to the back of my mind. If going to the gym seems like too much then even a short walk can work wonders.

4. Massage

According to the NHS, light massaging can help to alleviate the pain in your lower abdomen. This could be a good idea for after using a hot water bottle or whilst in the bath or shower if the heat isn’t quite working. It is important to focus on massaging the area where you feel the most pain in order to maximise efficacy.

5. Herbal tea and eating healthily

A cup of tea works wanders no matter what the situation is, but when I have cramps or am feeling moody during my period then I love to take some time out and have a cuppa. Also, it is easy to binge on everything unhealthy with your cuppa (I have done this many a time), but if you can resist then sticking to healthy and nutritious food will avoid adding to any uncomfortable bloating and gives you energy rather than making you feel lethargic.  

If you are one of the unfortunate ones who gets hit with all of the nasty knock on effects of being on your period then I hope that some of these suggestions help. If your periods are excessively uncomfortable or heavy then it is definitely worth visiting your GP to seek advice in regard to what can be done to help.

For more information click here.  

I am a third year English Lit student at The University of Exeter.