Five Fitness Valentine’s Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Valentine’s Day brings mixed feelings for singles and couples alike! Supposedly the most romantic day of the year, it’s easy to get het up in trying to make it more special than the couple next door. Whether it’s sitting cramped in an overly expensive, poorly serviced restaurant, suffering through the late st rom-com at the cinema or having a new lingerie disaster, Valentine’s Day can make even the best of couples turn sour. Not to worry though; HCX has come up with some alternative date ideas to keep your romance blossoming. Not only are these creative and fun, they will get you and your man outdoors with a healthier approach to dating! With some cheaper options too, these will give you a dose of fitness whilst spending quality time together. Ditch gorging on your heart shaped chocolates and try one of our easy date ideas!

1. Climbing: Situated on the Exeter quayside, the climbing centre is a great option for the more adventurous couples. Whether you’ve tackled the likes of Kilamanjaro or if Cardiac hill is a challenge enough, the climbing centre will have something for you. They run ‘have a go’ taster sessions for an hour at £12.50 each and with over 200 different routes, the time will fly by. Climbing is a brilliant work out for the entire body. Working on your core strength and stability, it has endless benefits. Challenge your date to some of the trickier climbs or have fun racing up the easier ones, either way you’ll have a laugh at each other, feel energized and have fun.

1. Walking: Exeter itself boasts some brilliant walks, with a half hour journey will take you to some of the best scenery in the country. Dartmoor hosts a range of waterfalls, pretty villages and wide expanses of space on the moors. Wander along the narrow streets of Moretonhampstead, visit the beautiful canonteign falls, and if you’re feeling more adventurous take a hike up one of Dartmoor’s numerous tors. Whilst it will be cold and breezy, it’s the perfect opportunity to get closer to your loved one and spend some time away from the buzz of campus. Turn it into a day trip and take a flask of your favorite hot drink to keep you going, or better still some tasty healthy snacks to reward yourself upon reaching the top of the tors!

1. Dance Class: Dancing is a fantastic way to get tons of exercise without really realizing it! Pop on your dancing shoes, get your boy dressed suitably and let your hair down. Exeter Phoenix holds an exciting Flamenco class for beginners on Saturdays, costing £7 per person for session. Alternatively, if you don’t mind holding off your date for a day, Bar Venezia on the quay hosts salsa Sundays, an informal chance to get close to your partner and groove to the salsa beats (and suitable for beginners!).

1. Cycling: We have miles of flat, scenic cycle paths leading from the quay to the open water itself so why not make the most of this? Cycling is great, whatever your fitness, and really gets your heart racing. If you don’t have your own bike at uni, head to Saddles and Paddles by the waterfront and hire one for as little as £5. You can choose your own bike for however long you decide to be away for, then get going! Alternatively, go along with the “ultra couples” theme with a tandem bike. Race along the waters side, and if you get a bit peckish, Turf Locks is a 5 mile cycle from the bike hire shop and has a large range of tasty treats on offer.

1. Canoeing: Does romance conjure up images of floating away on your own yacht with that special someone? Well, at a more affordable cost, Saddles and Paddles also hire out canoes and kayaks to go along the quay. Wrap up warm and get paddling as you head away from the busy weekend  public and towards the less well-known parts of Exeter. It’s easy to get the hang of and you can have a laugh trying to work out the various maneuvers! Don’t underestimate the exercise benefits of paddling, it’s a great upper body workout; just make sure your date pulls his weight too! 

Images @ alicedn.com/dailymail.co.uk/wellingtonsalsa.biz/welcomewiki.co.uk/bigrockclimbing.co.uk

Health and Fitness Deputy EditorI'm a third year English student with a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. I love healthy baking, trying new recipes and enjoy practising yoga in my free time.