This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The 2020 Academy Awards are almost upon us, but sadly, once again, it seems as though many talented female directors have been overlooked for nominations this year. In the absense of that, I thought I’d let you know about five badass female directors who desvered to be recognised for their work.

Greta Gerwig, Director of Little Women

Gerwig brought a classic book to life this year with her film adaptation of Alcott’s novel, creating a visually stunning, brilliantly casted, and overall enchanting movie which already has six Oscar Award nominations. Despite this Gerwig’s directing was overlooked by the Academy, who instead opted to nominate her for the ‘Best Adapted Screenplay’ award, often viewed as a consolation-prize category. The film has been a huge success, making more than $100 million dollars globally, and it’s hard to see how Oscar voters didn’t share this enthusiasm and love for the adaptation. 

Marielle Heller, Director of A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

This film starring Tom Hanks as beloved Childrens TV host Fred Rogers may not be out in the UK yet, but has seen rave reviews from critics and viewers in America, so why was there no nomination for Marielle Helle, the directing mastermind behind it all? Tom Hanks has received a nomination for ‘Best Supporting Actor’ for his role in the film, but somehow Heller has been overlooked. 

Lorene Scarfaria, Director of Hustlers

Hustlers hasn’t been nominated for any Oscars this year, despite earning a Golden Globe nomination. Both director Lorene Scarfacia and supporting actress Jennifer Lopez have been overlooked for nominations in their respective categories. This film may not have been as prominent in 2019, but in my opinion it should have been. Based on the true story of a stripper crew in New York who drugged and fleeced their clientele, this film is original, entertaining, and extremely intelligently.

Olivia Wilde, Director of Booksmart

If you haven’t heard of Booksmart, where on earth were you last year? This box-office smash it film stunned audiences with its honest and clever take on the classic coming-of-age story. Wilde made her directing debut and totally smashed it! For her first time directing it’s astonishing how smoothly the film runs and I can’t wait to see what Wilde comes up with next. Hopefully she won’t be passed up for a nomination by The Academy again.

Waad Al-Kateab, Co-Director of For Sama

For Sama is a hard-hitting documentary about the horrors of the Syrian civil war, and has rightly received four Oscar nominations this year. Al-Kateab co-directed the film, an achievement made even the more extraordinary by her past as a student living in Aleppo as it became a chief battleground in the war. She filmed her experiences over five years, as she became a nascent journalist, the wife of a doctor running a volunteer hospital, and the mother of a young daughter. Al-Kateab’s footage is what makes this documentary remarkable, and she more-than-deserves recognition for her work.

I'm an undergraduate reading BSc Politics and International Relations at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for current affairs and want to write articles that make complicated issues understandable for everyone. As a proud aspergirl and Childline ambassador I also want to use my writing to raise awareness around mental health conditions and disabilities.