Fitness Freak: Train Like Team GB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So I rocked up to the gym on Monday morning expecting my usual Body Combat class (more on that later). I was, however, in for a rather nasty surprise… 

Apparently, they wanted to use my combat hour for something different: “Train Like Team GB”, a new class being offered by Fitness First. I was both appalled and intrigued; appalled, because I knew that this would probably be alot more strenuous than my usual class, and there’s only so much a girl can strain on a Monday morning; intrigued, because who doesn’t want abs like Ennis?  

The class began with a perfectly do-able warm up, before we launched straight into some high intensity cardio with weight bags. Incorporating the weights with aerobic movement was fab, and as we were changing each exercise after a signal on the dance track sounded out, you didn’t find yourself planning your funeral whilst being stuck in one particularly awful exercise. There was also alot of exercises that targeted the ab area, which is probably one of the most worry-some areas for women. If you’re looking to get a few more ab exercises up your sleeve, this class definitely will do the trick beautifully. 

We then moved onto some team work. This ranged from quick sprints to team squats and press-ups. One exercise involved getting into a circle and going down into a press-up/jumping jack in a sort of dominoe effect. Everybody was having a good time (despite the alarming amounts of sweat), and I have to admit, it was a nice change to actually talk to the other people in my class. Alot of fitness classes involve merely turning up, sweating and leaving, but the Team GB class forces you to interact, whilst getting the best out of other people’s bodies as well as your own. 

Yes, it was a Monday morning, and yes, I crawled into my French seminar afterwards having lost the ability to speak English, let alone francais. However, it was a hell of a good work-out, perfect for burning off that cheeky Sunday roast! I’m sure I’ll be ready to tackle it again. 

images@bbc.co.uk/nonstopparty.co.uk