Fitness Class of the Week: Ballet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s fitness class is a somewhat surprising and unexpected choice.

Prancing around in tights, a leotard and twirling around on your toes to old-fashioned music may not be your idea of an intense or enjoyable workout but ladies (and men too) think again.

Ballet is definitely understated in terms of its ability to improve fitness and lose weight and I am here to extinguish any such myths that you skeptics may have. Ballet is definitely an artistic endeavor but it also requires great physical skill and puts huge physical demands on the body. Take a look at Natalie Portman’s unbelievable transformation for the film ‘Black Swan’, if that doesn’t convince you I don’t know what will.

I attended the advanced ballet class with the Exeter Uni’s very own Dance Soc.  At a very reasonable price (£3) this intense two-hour class in my opinion was well worth it. The beginner’s class lasts an hour and the friendly and enthusiastic ballet teachers Sophie and Elle welcome any newbies with open arms.

The class followed a typical layout of a ballet class but for those of you who are complete novices I’ll give you a run down.

Stretching: The class starts and ends with stretching – Do not be alarmed! Splits are not mandatory. Just like you would stretch before a run or a spinning class ballet is the same except we paid special attention to warming up our feet.

Barre: Traditionally dancers used a wooden bar to perform these exercises but for us the backs of chairs worked just as well. The exercises done at the bar are designed to improve your poise and grace. The exercises, which are repeated on both sides of the body help to build balance and strength

Center: Following a grueling session at the bar we moved to the center of the room. The exercises are similar to that at the bar (chairs) but there is not the support of the bar. Center work strengthens and develops the core muscles in your back and abdomen. Perfect for trimming down your waistline. Center work is divided into two sections – Adagio which consists of slow graceful steps, which help to develop balance, posture, and control. The second is Allegro, which includes livelier, faster more energetic steps including turns and jumps. These are the big calorie burners.

Not only does ballet burn calories and help to tone many areas of your body it has many other benefits. Ballet helps to reduce stress and improve your flexibility. Ballet targets the smaller muscles that can be hard to exercise. For example, instead of using your quad muscles it works the inside and back of your leg. Finally a way to get that thigh gap of which we have all dreamed!

When you are standing in first position, you pull up through your stomach and pushing your shoulders apart, which means you are working your back and upper body. Your inner thighs are working along side your bum to make sure you are in the perfect position. Everything is working at the same time and this is only first position!

The idea of a ballet class can be somewhat daunting and scary if you have either never tried it, or you are still suffering with nightmares featuring snotty girls with their hair in tight buns looking disdainfully whilst you try to pirouette (turn) gracefully with your hair falling down, a ladder in your tights and tripping over your feet (personal experience). However doing it in the relaxed setting of Hope Hall along side a bunch of chatty, friendly students puts you right at ease. Exeter Uni’s ballet class was a great workout and I will definitely be going back. Whether you are a utter beginner or you are simply out of practice head up to the weekly class. Her Campus couldn’t recommend it more.

Add Exeter Uni Dance Soc on Facebook to see their full timetable and to check out all the other dance class they offer.

Picture Credits:

sopauvre.blogspot.co.uk, thefalloutgirl.wordpress.com, fineartphotographysite.com

An Irish 2nd year student, studying psychology and Italian at the University of Exeter, with a love of sports, healthy food and anything outdoorsy!