Film Review: The Great Gatsby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Gatsby fever is everywhere at the moment; whether it’s fashion, beauty, music, or even our own Exeter Grad Ball, you can’t help but be influenced by the 1920’s trend currently saturating Summer 2013. But what is the cause of this explosion of twenties-style paraphernalia? Five words: Baz Lurhmann’s The Great Gatsby.

Lurhmann’s interpretation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 1925 novel of the same name is a must see. Whether you’re a fan of Luhrmann’s directive style (think Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet) or a die-hard Gatsby fanatic, you won’t be disappointed. Even as a literature student used to analysing films and books from every angle, I very much enjoyed the film: it was a perfect mix of 20’s glamour and decadence and modern-day iconography, topped off by a fantastic soundtrack which has received as much attention as the film itself. The basic plot of the film (without giving too much away) focuses on the character of Jay Gatsby, a fabulously wealthy nouveau-riche businessman who lives next-door to the kindly narrator Nick Carraway, a man trying to make his way in the booming bonds business of New York. The story is set in East and West Egg, fictional representations of real places on the Long Island sound, and features defining images of the Roaring Twenties – alcohol, money, oil, music and loose morals. The film follows Nick as he retrospectively tries to understand who Jay Gatsby is, and his motivations for wealth and power.

I’ve been looking forward to the release of this film ever since I heard it was in the pipeline a few years ago. Like a lot of literature students, I studied the book at A-level and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, Leonardo DiCaprio (Jay Gatsby), Elizabeth Debicki (Jordan Baker), Carey Mulligan (Daisy Buchanan) and Tobey Maguire (Nick Carraway) only added to the appeal of the story.

The film is fast-paced and exciting, with fantastic party scenes and even better costumes – Miuccia Prada’s designs are the perfect mix of 1920’s elegance and contemporary style. Even the costume sketches are beautiful. The jewellery used in the film is also jaw-droppingly gorgeous – Carey Mulligan’s Tiffany headpiece seen in most of the promo shots for the film is classically stunning.

DiCaprio’s Gatsby displayed the brilliant balance of detachment and recklessness that is central to the novel. He is simultaneously pathetic, hopeful, mysterious, obsessed and lovable. In my opinion, Robert Redford’s 1974 Gatsby exuded even more mystery, and perhaps a touch more class. Having said this, Leonardo DiCaprio develops the character throughout the film – starting off aloof and elusive, and gradually revealing the depth of his delusion and entrapment as the film continues, perhaps becoming more of a tragic character than Redford. Carey Mulligan’s Daisy may have been in the shadow of Mia Farrow’s excellent portrayal in the 1974 version, but she brought a strength and depth of character that Farrow’s ethereal, fragile Daisy lacked. Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway was an example of perfect casting – he has a sweet, innocent look to him which fits Nick’s trusting and fiercely loyal nature. I thought that the way the film opened was a clever way of introducing the possibility of Nick’s mental instability – the film deviates from the book in this respect, but sets the scene for the idea that all may not be as it seems.

The film score was executive-produced by music mogul Jay-Z – his mix of heavy hip-hop based beats and classic Roaring Twenties music is at times discordant, but ultimately very fitting for the chaotic lifestyles the film explores. The soundtrack supports Luhrmann’s vision for the film and its reflection of the current celebrity/economic climate. Jay Z’s song Hundred Dollar Bill features lines from The Great Gatsby, and Lana Del Ray’s haunting Young and Beautiful could be about Daisy Buchanan or any troubled starlet in Hollywood today. The film features some of the biggest names in music, including Florence and the Machine and Beyoncé – in my opinion it would be completely acceptable to go and see it just for the soundtrack.

On the down side, there was too much ineffectual ‘zooming in’ and CGI special effects – the only time this worked well was during the car chase/reckless driving scenes, as it emphasised the irresponsibility of the characters. Gatsby’s house looked too fake from the outside – although this may have been intentional given the central message of the story. Usually I hate 3D films, but in this case I thought the effect worked especially well with the image of the symbolic ‘green light’ and its fading away from the screen. The party scenes could have been even more fabulous – again here I think the 1974 film tops the 2013 version. Overall, Luhrmann’s film managed the right mix of disturbing and fascinating, and remains (in general) loyal to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel. It is a film that deserves to be seen, and, at least on my part, did not disappoint.

Photo Credits:www.wrongopinionsaboutmovies.com, www.uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/, www.o.canada.com, www.rogerebert.com, www.gangster.squarespace.com

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves.