This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As the party invitations and festive plans start to approach, here is as edited list of the essentials which will take you effortlessly through the party season updating and reinventing your look.

The LBD

The LBD is a much praised chic classic which really is perfect for this time of year. The limitless possibilities and looks it allows make it an essential wardrobe staple for this party season. The addition of statement jewellery or other eye catching accessories can also instantly alter this look, making the Little Black Dress a versatile piece. This season brings the perfect opportunity to invest in the perfect LBD as it is a party basic which many shops advertise for this time of year. By introducing lace or sequined panels and different textures such as velvet and leather, a black dress can have a lot of character and interest. 

Sequins

Any item decorated in sequins perfectly translates the mood of the season. A fully sequinned dress at any other time of the year could be viewed as excessive, however it is just right for festive celebrations. A bit of sparkle is also great for events when you have limited time to get ready, as though it is effortless, it gives the appearance of a much planned look.  As sequins can be quite a statement, it is important not to overdress your outfit. Your look can therefore be teamed with wardrobe staples such as a leather jacket or blazer and simple understated heels.

[pagebreak]

Eye Makeup

Christmas is a time to be creative with your makeup instead of sticking to what you feel comfortable with. Your makeup can really update your look. Just as sequins can look impressive, glitter eye shadows when applied carefully can create a statement party look. Instead of relying on the traditional smokey eye, mix things up by using navy or burgundy tones as seen in many catwalk shows such as Chanel. Taking inspiration from these shows and advertisements like this can create subtle changes which really alter your appearance and are great alternatives to traditional looks.

Red Lipstick

Though a red lip can be seen as a perfect accompaniment to any outfit at any time of the year, it looks especially great during the festive season. Somehow a dash of colour really livens up a look and creates a more put together and refined appearance. Experiment with darker or brighter shades depending on your complexion. Darker tones can create a great gothic appearance whereas a more subtle look can equally be interesting. Again, this is a perfect addition to complete your look on nights when you are short of time.

Heels

At university we seem to get into a habit of going out and partying in the most comfortable shoes possible. However, this creates a dilemma when many dresses and outfits for dinners and celebrations need to be finished with the addition of a heel. This means that another essential for this party season is a pair of heels which feel comfortable and look the part. Simple colours such as black may appear to be slightly dull but they will become a versatile addition to your wardrobe, however red or sequinned heels, can in contrast, add interest to a more simplified outfit. If you find high heels uncomfortable or difficult to wear, wedges or pumps can be a great alternative as many brands create sequined or glittered flats for this season.