This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

2023’s music scene has been incredible so far! There are so many artists out there really coming into their own, releasing music that speaks to love, heartbreak and grief. In spirit of last week’s International Women’s Day, I’ve devised a list of some outstanding (and some up-and-coming) female artists to keep an eye out for this year, who are quite literally transforming the UK music scene. 

Raye 

London born artist Raye will be recognisable to a lot of you. She has dominated the charts over the past few years collaborating with some of the biggest names out there such as Stormzy, Jonas Blue, Rudimental and Mabel. She is becoming one of the most streamed female artists in the world and it is no shock as to why. Her music touches the soul, providing us with some club bangers and perfect pres songs. Her latest album My 21st Century Blues has swept through the charts, discussing a range of themes. If you love all things pop music, definitely check out Escapism – its playing regularly through my headphones at the minute! 

Lauren Spencer-Smith 

Lauren has been on the music scene a while, appearing as a contestant on American Idol in 2020. She quickly rose to prominence in 2022 with her single Fingers Crossed. It reached the top 20 in a range of countries and this has propelled her into the “female artists to watch” conversation. Her songs are beautifully calm tunes evoking powerful and strong messages for all us women out there! At only 19 years old, Lauren’s music discusses important themes such as friendships and relationships. I would really recommend taking a listen to Fingers Crossed, Flowers, Narcissist and Best Friend Breakup

Mimi Webb 

British singer-songwriter Mimi is currently dominating the charts and I’d be surprised if you haven’t caught some of her music on the radio recently. Things really picked up for Mimi in 2020 when her hit single Before I Go was picked up by Charli D’Amelio on TikTok, reaching a whopping 85 million views. Since then it has been single after single such as Good Without, House on Fire, and Red Flags. There is no stopping her talent and her voice is amazing! These tunes are perfect for pres, studying, clubbing and workouts – really empowering and great at getting you pumped. It is no surprise that she was nominated for Best New Talent at the 2023 Brit Awards – watch this space! 

Sody 

At 22 years old, Sody’s music is currently on the rise. I’ve heard her songs at all the socials and playing in the shops here down in Exeter! Her songs tend to be about hard-hitting emotions such as sadness and anger, but for everyone who loves this kind of music I cannot recommend her enough. Take a listen to Maybe it Was Me or Bitch (I Said It), particular the latter if you’re in the mood for screaming some music at the top of your lungs. I cannot wait to hear and see what she does with the rest of 2023! 

FLO 

Iconic girl groups such as the Spice Girls, Little Mix, Sugababes and Girls Aloud have transformed female sound in music. Now, you can add FLO to that list. Formed in 2019, FLO are quickly rising through the ranks of music popularity. Their single Cardboard Box is a must listen. If you’re a fan of RnB/Pop, this group is for you. They recently collaborated with Stormzy on his latest album, on the track Hide & Seek. It’s no wonder they recently won the Rising Star Award at the Brits (2023). Plus, if you love a good insta post, their account @flolikethis champions all things female empowerment, sass and friendship! 

Megan Barber

Exeter '23

22 years old studying History. You can find me eating, reading or planning my next adventure...