Explore Lisbon on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Already sick of university and looking for an escape? Why not check out the Portugeuse captial as the perfect getaway for a weekend out of the gloomy rain…

Whether it’s a romantic minibreak with your other half, or just a much needed girly weekend, we highly recommend Lisbon. 
This beautiful city has it all: beach, sun, culture, easy access, and, of course, cheap cocktails.  Here’s a quick guide to what your weekend could look like:
  • Exeter to London : Book in advance for cheap travel with a 16-25 Railcard.
  • London Stansted to Lisbon : From £19 one way (Ryanair/Easyjet).
  • Bus Airport to Lisbon : €3.50 aerobus to the hostel door.

For your hostel, look no further than Destination Sunset. Overlooking the Tagus River, the hostel boasts a rooftop terrace with a pool, urban garden, and chilled-out bar area. Located in the old train station, this beautiful building is central to all your needs, and is open 24/7 leaving you free to roam at all times of day and night. Breakfast is included, as well as a well-equipped kitchen at your disposal for all other meals. 

• Shared mix dorms – €16
  • Private double  – €50

Now you’re in Lisbon, here are a few HCX recommendations to make the most of this fabulous city…

• Visit the beautiful ruins of Castello Jorge in Lisbon itself.
  • Belém by bike! Rent a bike and cycle to Belém to see the Tower as well as the Padrão dos Descobrimentos. (Don’t forget to grab a Pastel de Nata while you’re there!).
  • Take a train to the nearest beach – our favourite is the stunning Carcavellos Beach.
  • Head to Sintra and visit the UNESCO World Heritage sites.

• Listen to some traditional Portuguese Fado music in Bairro Alto.
  • Ride in style with a tram-tour of the city on Tram 28.

• Check out the Park Rooftop bar; a stylish and friendly terrace with stunning views of the city, overlooking the 25 de Abril Bridge.
  • If you’re a bit of a foodie, the Time Out Market is the place for you. The Mercado da Ribeira brings some of the city’s favourite food shops and restaurants under one roof, making it the perfect lunchtime hangout.

So how about it? Why not experience a new city whilst making the most of the sun, sights, and cocktails by the pool… I’ll see you there.

Photo Credits:

Nathalie Kelk

Georgina Dorr 

Final year languages student at Exeter Uni. Just spent a year out in Grenoble!