Exeter Style Tribes: Which One Do You Belong To?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It becomes apparent as soon as you set foot in the Forum; there are a number of Style Tribes at Exeter! Of course, we don’t believe that all Exeter students conform to certain styles, yet there are undeniably a few dominant sartorial influences on campus. What is more, there is nothing wrong with taking inspiration from them! HCX has identified the most distinctive looks for you; from preppy to hipster, and everything in between.

Preppy

Possibly the most identifiable style genre with Exeter! The committed Prep blends classic pieces such as the gilet and hunting jacket with the basic hoodie to create a polished look with sporty accents. The popularity of this look is unsurprising, as the term ‘Preppy’ originally emerged as an Ivy League style. Never without their Jack Wills tee or Abercrombie and Fitch sweats, Exeter Preps can be spotted all over campus. For many, this look can be a definite guilty pleasure, especially on days when you may just want to resort to tried and tested basics. The clean lines and air of polish associated with this distinguished look are perfect for channeling your inner collegiate. Keep the colour scheme traditional with navy, white and the occasional pop of berry red. The ultimate accessory for the Prep? A classic Mulberry Bayswater.

[pagebreak]

Sporty

If you find yourself within a mile’s radius of the Sport’s Park or St Luke’s Campus, only one aesthetic will prevail! With a host of top-ranking sports teams and societies, Exeter definitely qualifies as one sports-obsessed uni. However, that by no means equals a lack of style! Exeter’s  instantly recognisable green and white sports ‘stash’ looks so good that even those of us who count walking up the Forum hill as exercise would want to wear it. If you don’t belong to any sports societies but want to spice up your morning run, try out these eye-catching pieces such as tribal patterned gym shorts (Forever 21, £8.22). HCX also loves these crazy-coloured Nikes (£58) to put a spring in your step (or mild jog!). Also, as if we need justifications, stylish exercise wear is by far the best motivator to get on the treadmill!

[pagebreak]

Hipster

For those of us who practically reside in Urban Outfitters and would ideally always ride to campus on a vintage bicycle, there is a prolific hipster presence on campus. Work these edgier styles when out at Cellar Door or Cavern; a classic night out look would not be the same without donning a pair of Levi’s cut offs (£30, Urban Outfitters) and Nike Air Max’s (£60, Office). Give the style staple of a graphic tee that extra edge with a fashion pun; HCX loves the recent trend in high-fashion logo tees taking inspiration from top French fashion houses Hermes and Celine (Urban Outfitters, from £30). This Exeter Style Tribe was made for experimenting; don’t be afraid to work some eccentric accessories such as these sunglasses (£13, Nasty Gal) in to your everyday outfits to get the look. There is also a distinctly practical side to this Style Tribe; your hair will thank you when protected by the requisite beanie hat!

[pagebreak]

Fashionista

This Exeter Style Tribe makes a walk through the Forum a place of street style potential. With a successful Fashion Society and plenty of potential for vintage and high street shopping, Exeter is more than welcoming to the self-styled fashionista. Channel the look with chic separates and, of course, the statement jacket (Mango, £115) which will amp up your outfits all winter long. This season’s accessories are also the perfect complement to the look, and luckily are classics which will perk up your outfit regardless of the weather! A classic chain (Topshop, £13) will lift any old white tee, whilst an origami-structured bag (£45, Zara) will add interest, yet is versatile enough to match any outfit! HCX loves a sleek palette of blacks, whites and Breton stripes, offset by the new natural in make-up; muted rose lips (£12, MAC).

[pagebreak]

Comfort First

Most of us admittedly belong to this Exeter Style Tribe! As students, we all need some comfort to help us through 9am lectures and unwelcome tutorials. Some have even been spotted on campus in the extremities of loungewear, the infamous onesie! Tempting as turning up to class in pyjamas is however, it is possible to look pulled together, even when you don’t feel it. Layering is the key here; keep cozy in a combination of jersey basics such as leggings, covered by an oversize jumper and snood. Keep your favourite basics in good condition; there is a fine line between your slouchy boyfriend jumper and the ratty raglan with holes in the armpits! A classic parka (Topshop, £120) is a wardrobe essential, and can hide a multitude of sartorial sins!

So after such extensive analysis, which Exeter Style Tribe do you belong to, girls? We’d love to see your own takes on the trends; Instagram or Tweet us @hercampusexeter with your Outfit of the Day and #HerCampusStyle!

Photo Credits

www.jackwills.com

www.mulberry.com

www.nike.com

www.hermes.com

www.topshop.co.uk

www.hunter.com

www.mango.co.uk

Maxine Vining is currently a 3rd year History and Politics student, and Current Affairs Editor at HCX.