Euphoria: Glamorisation or Realisation of Modern Day Teenhood?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Authors note: this is a largely spoiler-free review of HBOs Euphoria. However, I must issue a trigger warning since sensitive themes are touched upon throughout the article.

HBOs hit show Euphoria premiered in 2019 and has garnered widespread attention and criticism since the launch of its pilot. The series, much like its teen drama predecessors such as Skins and The OC, centres around a group of high school students as they navigate the complexities of young adult life. The show maintains a penchant for addressing hard-hitting themes, with the lead protagonist and narrator being a recovering drug addict. Sensitive topics concerning gender identity, drug and alcohol use, and sexuality were continuously explored throughout the first season, fostering dialogue concerning such topics amongst young people and parents alike. 

With the recent release of season 2, such themes have continued to be explored in an excruciatingly realistic and empathetic fashion. Euphoria marks a pivotal direction for teen drama shows, demonstrating that serious topics can be explored against the backdrop of high school entanglements in a hard-hitting manner. When compared to other current teen drama shows, such as Riverdale, it is clear that Euphoria is willing to breach the boundaries of socially acceptable storylines and characters in a constructive way. The show is unwilling to proverbially sugar coat serious themes and instead it embraces them. Such a level of transparency and realism is seldom explored in media (particularly content tailored for younger generations), yet Euphoria utilises exceptional cinematography and storytelling to successfully unpack such subject matter. 

Irrespective of the transformative qualities that Euphoria possesses, the show has faced criticism on several fronts. Namely, its incorporation of nudity and sexual content, and the apparent glamorisation of drug and alcohol misuse. The explicit content has received heat from a number of media groups, including that of Parents Television and Media Council and Common Sense Media, with the former calling the series “dark, depraved, degenerate and nihilistic”. While the show has been critiqued for being gratuitous, Augustine Frizzell (who directed the pilot episode) claimed that the explicit content enacts as a facilitator for constructive conversations and discussions concerning the subject matter explored. The show’s host network HBO has voiced concerns in respects to the inclusion of sexually graphic scenes yet has ultimately, and thankfully, allowed Euphoria to continue with its “creative process”. It is important to note that the show also includes various viewer discretion warnings and provides resources for mental health and substance misuse on its website. 

Although the show is sometimes tough to watch, it is undoubtable that Euphoria explores sensitive themes in a simultaneously creative and illuminating manner. While the show itself is visually stunning and has been noted for its dreamy and ethereal aesthetic, the content remains grounded and deeply relevant to this generation’s youth. It is undeniable that some of the storylines and character decisions are outlandish and yes, the nudity and sexual context could be considered excessive, yet isn’t that part of being a young person in modern society? We are constantly bombarded with extreme and sexualised content, whether it be through social media or tabloids, so why should Euphoria be demonised when it’s taking an empowering approach to such themes? 

The show is brutally honest, and it is entirely possible that the world isn’t ready for a raw introspection of modern day teenhood. While teen dramas have tended to brush over serious issues and to explore them with rose-tinted glasses, Euphoria attempts to remove the rosy filter – it is less concerned with being digestible and more concerned with being real. Each and every one of the characters is deeply flawed and would be inherently unlikable if it weren’t for the fact that there are elements of each character which render them as relatable figures. In a similar fashion to SkinsEuphoria is a primarily character-driven show. The narrative revolves around the characters, and the plot is naturally explored through their trials and tribulations. Paired with its bold aesthetic and captivating soundtrack, Euphoria delivers hard-hitting narratives in a visually pleasing capacity.

Ultimately, it is interesting to see the criticisms directed at Euphoria. It speaks volumes about how the world perceives modern day teenhood, perhaps best evidenced in-show by Cal Jacobs (who is the father of one of the leading characters): “I’m envious of your generation, you know. You guys don’t care as much about the rules”.

A huge nerd with a passion for niche tv shows, RPGs, and playing my guitar. You will usually find me consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, or stressing in the library!