The End of an Era: Goodbye and Good Luck Georgie Hazell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

By the Her Campus Exeter Team

This time last year, something big was about to hit Exeter. Launching in January, the American based ‘Her Campus’ gained another ‘chapter’ in the UK: Her Campus Exeter, fondly known as HCX. It quickly became a recognised name on campus and around the Exeter bubble. HCX might have started with makeshift t-shirts and banners, but it quickly grew into a fully-fledged stash bearing organisation, known for its Campus Cuties, fantastic articles and phenomenal socials. Since January 2012, it has consistently been in the top 10 most viewed Chapters worldwide, showing how much of a stamp on the global Her Campus community Exeter has made. This hard work and dedication paid off recently, when Her Campus Exeter was awarded the highest chapter level; Pink, by the HC founders. This means we consistently have the highest number of views, some of the best social media outlets and have managed excellent brand and business liaisons, amongst other things.

All of this could not have been done without our founder and former President Georgie Hazell. Georgie recently announced her decision to step down as HCX President, choosing to focus instead on promoting Her Campus across the rest of the UK, and HCX thought that it was time to give back and thank her for everything she has done for us this past year.

Discovering Her Campus whilst she was on her semester abroad in the United States, Georgie was quick to immerse herself into the HC community, loving it so much that she decided to bring it back to the UK. Having interned at the Her Campus headquarters in Boston last summer, Georgie brought back a wealth of knowledge to Exeter, thereby cementing our place as one of the top Chapters out there. Describing HCX as her “baby” at our recent Christmas Dinner, one cannot underestimate what Her Campus Exeter means for Georgie, and her devotion is clearly seen through all the hard work that she has spent on moulding it this year and seeing it blossom.

The comments our team members have made about Georgie and all of her hard work speak for themselves:

·      “On first meeting Georgie back in January, I immediately noticed how cheerful, helpful and kind she is, and I think anyone would say the same! It’s obvious she is 100% passionate about Her Campus, and won’t accept anything but the best when it comes to running the Exeter chapter – this is clear from the very high numbers of views we get and the excellent quality of our articles. When Georgie picked Lauren and I first as Vice Presidents and then chose us to take over in January, I was over the moon. I felt honoured that she could trust me with ‘her baby’ that she’d spent so much time and hard work creating. Georgie’s now one of my closest friends at Exeter, and I hope Lauren and I do her proud next term!” (Caroline Butten, Vice President)

·      “Obviously Georgie has done WONDERFUL things for HCX in the past year: not only did she found it but she’s made it such a success! We’ve consistently been high up in the top chapters and that is largely down to her hard work and dedication – we’ve been so lucky to have such a great President so far, Caroline and I have some VERY big shoes to fill!” (Lauren Hudson, Vice President)

·       “HCX has definitely been one of the best experiences of the year so far and we couldn’t have asked for a better President! From the brilliant socials to the chance to write for a global audience it has been one of the most satisfying and fun aspects of university this year. So thank you for being absolutely amazing, we’re sad that you’re stepping down but we all hope to continue your legacy and make HCX the best in the world!” (Health and Fitness Team)

·        “I’ve loved all the team socials at Georgie’s house in her living room with loads of cake, music and girly magazines, enjoying a truly chilled out late afternoon. Despite her huge workload she always makes such an effort to set aside at least a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon for socialising and catching up with all the HCX team. She was such a great President!”(Georgia Carnegie, Culture Editor)

·      “Georgie’s hard work has always meant we have been one of the most successful chapters. Her dedication will inspire us to keep Her Campus as popular as ever, even after she leaves the team!” (Amy Dicketts, Fashion and Beauty Editor)

·      “Georgie is always very smiley, upbeat and friendly and I find the amount of energy and work she puts into HerCampus incredibly impressive!” (Hannah, Fashion and Beauty)

·      “It’s amazing how much Georgie has done, not only in starting up Her Campus here in Exeter, but also getting Exeter girls involved in something that they love doing and work hard at – she’s done an amazing job!” (Fashion and Beauty)

·       “Joining Her Campus this year, I wish I had signed up sooner- it literally is so much fun! I first met Georgie at Monkey Suit for HC themed cocktails and from that first meeting I immediately knew Her Campus was for me. The Georgie’s enthusiasm is contagious and I think you can see that that really comes across in all of the articles that are published. We are going to miss Georgie  but wish her the best of luck in sharing her love for HC across the U.K!” (Florence Christie, Sex and Relationships Editor)

With Georgie stepping down, the current Vice Presidents Caroline Butten and Lauren Hudson prepare to take over the reins. Working as writers and editors alongside Georgie from the start, HCX cannot think of a better two people to take on the new role, and look forward to working with them and seeing what 2013 holds!

As one can see from all the comments shared, Georgie has made a massive impact on Her Campus. This article only shows a snippet of the appreciation we have for all her hard work. For now though: THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK GEORGIE, please pop in and see us soon! You know where to find us!  HCXO love and hugs xxxx

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves. 
Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.