The Enchanted Garden Ball – What to Wear to the Garden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Event: The Enchanted Garden Ball. Where? A mysterious, secret location. When? Saturday 8th June. Dress code? Wonderfully formal. Excited? Words can’t describe.

Every year The Dog Dayz Team bring us the party of the summer. It’s a magical affair complete with burlesque shows, hot air balloon rides, shisha and a wealth of summer tunes to keep you bopping all night long. Here at Her Campus we’ve been awaiting the event with anticipation, and now that the date has been revealed, it’s time to start planning that knock-out outfit.

Weather permitting, the evening could be one of pure unadulterated bliss; clear skies, minimal breeze and NO RAIN. The sort of night for which it is just about bearable to have bare arms and bare legs (these are few and far between in England). However, sadly the weather is something that neither Her Campus nor the weathermen seem to have any control over, and given Exeter’s recent (and very much above average) levels of rainfall, the best thing to do when planning and purchasing your outfit is just to not think about it. Try to invest your faith in the British summer sun and hope that the heavens decide to open on another night. But if luck is not on our side, it’s not as if us Exeter students are going to be disheartened by a spot (or indeed a lot) of rain; we’re well practised at wet weather dressing. The best recommendation we can give for less than ideal weather is to trade your wedges for wellies, and throw a hooded parka over your party dress. The result is perhaps more festival than formal, but clever accessorising can sort that out, and anyhow, there’s nothing remotely formal about wet hair and muddy shoes.

Weather concerns aside, the question on most girls’ minds is whether to go long or short. Although floor length dresses have been making headlines these past few years, they’re still often thought to be too formal. If this is what has been holding you back then The Enchanted Garden Ball is most definitely the place to cast aside your worries and don that gorgeous maxi dress you’ve been dying to wear; the whole point of the dress code is to go all out. Think Baz Luhrmann’s version of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby; all glamour, sequins, feathers, cigars and smoking jackets (the latter obviously for the boys, unless you think you can work the androgynous look).

If you decide to opt for a short dress, you’ll be spoilt for choice; you may even struggle to narrow down your finds to just one! Whilst some girls will have a clear image in their minds of the type of dress they want, others need a little more inspiration and guidance to help them select the perfect one. So we’ve compiled a list of five dresses that we feel capture the essence of The Enchanted Garden Ball in an attempt to get you in the mood to start the hunt for your own!

And if the student life has hit you hard and you find yourself unable to splash out on something new, there are loads of great ways to accessorise your existing dresses; bold jewellery and floral hair pieces can completely transform an outfit. Have a look at Rock ‘N Rose for floral hair bands and statement jewellery, and ASOS is always a treasure trove of festival inspired accessories. 

1)     Religion Hallucination Print Maxi Dress £95.

Floor length and florals – what more can you want from a dress? It’s glamorous yet understated, perfect for a garden party. Pair with chunky wedges and a statement necklace. 

2)     Needle and Thread Texoco Mini Dress £175

This is the kind of Great Gatsby glamour we had in mind. Elegant and simple in shape yet extravagant and opulent in fabric and material. True it’s not exactly cheap, but it’s beautifully made and transcends the occasion because of its timeless flexibility – you will find yourself wearing this one a lot.

3)     Ted Baker Dress with Lace Detail, £145

Yellow is the colour of the season so make a statement in this gorgeous Ted Baker dress. We love the lace detail on the body and the full skirt makes it pretty and girly. We’d recommend minimal accessories and simple shoes – the colour does most of the talking. 

4) Motel Jetty Plunge Neck Dress in White £50

White – the colour of summer. Reminiscent of holidays and tanned skin, this dress will make you feel summery whatever the weather (but may require a bit of help from the old fake tan). The shape is elegant and flattering – think Carrie in Sex and the City – and the simplicity of the dress means you can have some fun with the accessories. Team with bright statement heels (red or orange are always winners with white, or be bold and channel the neon trend) and gold jewellery. 

5) Topshop Limited Edition Strappy Dress £130

Spaghetti straps seem to be everywhere right now, and we’re not complaining. They epitomise flirty, floaty summer dresses and this silk number from Topshop ticks every box. It’s midi in length, which is super flattering, so all it needs is a classic wedge to complete the look. 

Whether you spend £100 or a tenner, there are plenty of options all over the high street to perfect your ‘enchanted’ summer look.

Photo credits:

http://theflowerappreciationsociety.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/appreciating-stella-mccartneys-ss12.html

http://www.asos.com/Religion/Religion-Hallucination-Print-Maxi-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2696682&WT.ac=rec_viewed

http://www.asos.com/Needle-Thread/Needle-Thread-Texcoco-Mini-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2867351&cid=8799&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Chalk%2fgold

http://www.asos.com/Ted-Baker/Ted-Baker-Dress-with-Lace-Detail/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2920560&cid=2623&Rf900=1465&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Brightyellow

http://www.motelrocks.com/shop/products/Motel-Jetty-Plunge-Neck-Dress-in-White.html

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=9502376&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=2000