The Dangers of Drinking Alcohol and Some ‘Mocktail’ Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whilst everyone likes to go out and have a good time, a lot of us don’t actually think about the consequences of the alcohol we drink. Although it is legal for those of the age of 18 to drink alcohol, that doesn’t make it is any less dangerous than other drugs. Alcohol is a depressant and so it slows down your body’s responses in a number of ways. Drinking large quantities of alcohol within a short time frame can put you in serious risk.

Effects of Alcohol:

• A small amount of alcohol can often make you feel more confident and sociable however, just one drink too many can cause you to lose your inhibition. You can become aggressive, argumentative; you begin to start slurring your words and can end the night vomiting.
  • Another short-term effect of alcohol is the hangover you can feel the next day (sometimes lasting even longer).
  • You’re more likely to put yourself in dangerous situations that you wouldn’t usually.
  • Large quantities of alcohol within a short space of time can lead to alcohol poisoning which is extremely serious and can be fatal.
  • Long-term effects can take years to develop and often take form in serious health problems. These include various types of cancer, liver damage, high blood pressure and heart disease (to name but a few).

The NHS advises young men not to drink more than 3-4 units a day, and young women not to drink more than 2-3 units a day. With all of these consequences of drinking alcohol it is a wonder that we even put our bodies through this.

So, for those of you who don’t drink alcohol or who simply fancy a night off (after reading those side effects…who wouldn’t!), we have some exciting ‘mocktail’ recipes written especially for Her Campus by mixologist Wayne Collins.

Berry Nice (Chilled)

Ingredients:

• 4 mixed berries
  • 25ml fresh lime juice
  • 25ml fresh apple juice
  • 15ml vanilla syrup

Method:

• Shake all ingredients with cubed ice for 10 seconds, fine strain into a cocktail glass.
  • Add some fresh berries on top for garnish.

Pink Sling

Ingredients:

• 15ml fresh lemon juice
  • 25ml pressed pineapple juice
  • Bitter lemon to fill
  • 15ml pomegranate syrup
  • Fresh mint
  • Soda

Method:

• Add mint into an empty tall glass, add all other ingredients. Add half a glass of crushed ice and churn well to infuse flavours.
  • Top with fresh ice and soda (of your choice)

Purple Crush

Ingredients:

• 4 x fresh blueberries
  • 2 x fresh blackberries
  • 15ml fresh lemon juice
  • 25ml Cranberry Juice
  • 15ml Elderflower cordial

Method:

• Add fresh blackberries, blueberries and liquid ingredients into a glass and gently stir.
  • Fill with ice and top with some fresh berries.

Mock-jito

Ingredients:

• 6 fresh mint leaves
  • 25ml fresh lemon juice
  • 10ml agave syrup
  • Ginger ale

Method:

• Gently bruise mint. Add to a tall glass
  • Add ingredients, fill with crushed ice
  • Stir gently until well mixed
  • Top with some fresh mint

Photo Credits: www.graphicshunt.com, www.pinterest.com