This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

There are some cracking events here in Exeter to get you counting down to Christmas: whether you’ve been cleaning out the mince pie stalls at the Exeter Christmas market or hogging the mulled wine mix at the Soul Choir Christmas Concert, interspersing late nights at the library with ticking off the Best ways to Countdown to Christmas in true student style, we’re all feeling festive. But HCX knows home Christmas traditions are just as special as our student ones. As Chris Rea’s Driving Home For Christmas will be the soundtrack to your life in a week’s time the HCX Culture team have compiled their Christmas Culture Chart hit list of home traditions and Christmas plans when they’ve exited Exe. Send us yours, whether it’s careful Christmas tree selection, your Mum’s outrageous cooking skills or hitting the Selfridges sales on Boxing Day, HCX wants to hear what you’ve got planned!

Laura’s Christmas Tree Traditions

Amongst the mulled wine and mince pies, it’s easy to forget that the festive period can bring your parents stress levels through the roof. But, for those who don’t have the time (or money, after working their way through their little one’s extensive wish list), there is a failsafe Christmas tradition that, in my household, takes centre stage.  Christmas wouldn’t be the same without a Christmas tree.

If your mum is anything like mine she will stand there looking very smug when visitors compliment her on her chic decorations, and secretly be saying “I told you so” to the rest of the household, who rolled their eyes when she announced this years “theme” for the tree’s decorations, (a very big no to tinsel!). 

For me the real fun is choosing the tree, in the busy lead up to Christmas, it’s one of the few times that the family can get together and really embrace the build-up to the holiday. Being a city girl, any chance to pull on my wellies and attempt to “be at one with nature” is brilliant! Whilst opportunities may seem scarce to do this in the capital, Richmond park’s Christmas Forest proves to be the perfect festive idle to choose a tree. To me, the smell of fir trees is as much a signal of Christmas approaching as the coca cola advert finally appearing on our television screen, and while the lights of Oxford and Regent’s Street are unquestionably a spectacle, the grand switch on of the Christmas tree in the “Brassett household” is in a league of its own. However, that being said the best part of the whole Christmas tree saga is, without a doubt, the drama that surrounds choosing that perfect tree. The gender divide that occurs in this process is comical. Whilst the men strut around, searching for a tree as big as their ego, and certainly too big for the ceilings in our humble semi-detached house, me and mum seem to always take pity on a weed that is masquerading as a Christmas tree, and feel the weird maternal need to nurse it back to strength. The men peacock “their great eye for a sturdy tree trunk”, as us girls mourn the “quaint little tree that would have look adorable in the hall way” and Christmas is complete: at least one family domestic is a requirement!

Georgia’s Winter Walks

A personal highlight of the Christmas period for me is the family walk along West Wittering’s Beach on the South Coast. I’m very lucky to be just a 10 minute drive from this beautiful beach, and the weather is always kind to us on the first day of the New Year, with clear blue skies and the sun shining. After a very heavy night the night before, rising at 11am to bacon rolls and steaming coffee is the perfect cure, followed by pulling on some woolly socks and wellies, and a very warm winter coat, hat and scarf, not forgetting the dog lead! There is usually still masses of turkey and stuffing left over from Christmas  Day, so my Mum will make copious amounts of turkey and stuffing sandwiches, wrap them in tin foil, and shove them in a bag ready for everyone to tuck into once comfortably perched on the sand dunes at lunchtime (around 3pm in my holiday routine…). There is no better way to see in the New Year than breathing in the fresh sea air with your family, and then returning home to hot chocolate and yet more mince pies, as the festive season is NOT over until term starts!

Katie’s Roma Retreat

Christmas holidays for me mean returning to my hometown in Italy, the beautiful Roma. So while I never look forward to the stress of that easy jet flight from Bristol airport, full of other hopefuls looking forward to celebrating Natale in true Italian style, upon landing I instantly calmed by what this beautiful city has to offer at Christmas…

Being the centre of the Catholic Church, Christmas Italian style is a traditional and religious affair. This does not mean however that we miss out on all the cheer, when walking through the beautiful streets they are still filled with festive lights and everyone has a smile plastered on their face.

Apart from the infamous Nativity scene in St Peter’s Square here are a few places to visit, purely for their “charisma-when-lit”: Via Del Corso (Rome’s equivalent of Oxford Street) is full of shops boasting lavish and festive displays, while also round the corner is the huge tree at the Spanish Steps that never disappoints in the decoration department. Then to top off this festive visit I would recommend a detour round Piazza Navona’s Christmas market, complete with a traditional merry-go-round surrounded by stalls with food, sweets and presents.

While Christmas abroad means waving goodbye to turkey, mince pies and the prospect of snow, who could resist spending one year seeing the Eternal City under fairy lights?

Kate’s Christmas Market in Bath

As we edge closer to the holidays there is nothing that pleases me more than losing myself in Bath’s breathtaking Christmas market. Situated behind Bath Abbey, the warm glow of fairy lights and the enriching smells of gluhwien and hog roasts emanating from the small wooden stalls will leave even the most unenthusiastic Christmas shopper whistling a Christmas carol or two. Having been seduced many a time by the enchanting array of goods on offer it is a rarity that I will come home empty handed. Once the hustle and bustle of Christmas dies down however, I find there is nothing I enjoy more then taking a leisurely Boxing Day stroll down the Kennet-on-Avon canal. On an especially frosty day, the vibrant barges lapping gently against the sides of the canal banks present the perfect winter backdrop for a family photo shoot. As you slowly edge down the frozen path, stopping along the way for a warm drink or two, the heavy feeling of consuming that enormous Christmas dinner will slowly start to melt away…’

Lauren’s Festive Cooking

Festive cooking has to be one of the best things about the Christmas season! After my (already failed) attempt at eating healthily before SSB, it becomes seriously socially acceptable to gorge on all the yummy treats that are around at this time of year.  It would be a mistake to think that you can only enjoy these festive treats on Christmas day – oh no, you’re missing out here girls! In my family, Christmas Eve dinner is a big deal; even though there are only three of us, mum and I (okay, I try to help, I’m not sure how much use I really am!) make roast duck with cherry sauce and potatoes roasted with goose fat. One word: incredible. 

It’s a major tradition in our house to make (and this time I really do help!) a gingerbread house – complete with a gingerbread family and white icing snow, of course! Try making that for hours and then not being able to eat it… It makes an amazing Christmas Eve feast – especially in front of The Santa Clause, Miracle on 34th Street or another equally amazing Christmas film with a warm mug of hot chocolate!

And ladies, you HAVE to get in on the mulled wine action – or even winter Pimms! On a cold (hopefully snowy) afternoon, tucked up under a rug watching endless Christmas films or reading that novel that you just haven’t had time to read this term (no, your textbook doesn’t count), I can think of nothing better than a little mulled wine to top this all off. Yes, it is definitely Christmas time, and it’s about time too!

Issy’s Christmas in the City

Heading home for Christmas means spending far too long choosing a Christmas tree, playing Christmas songs and watching Christmas films by day. But by night it means getting dressed up and going out for dinner with school friends, ice skating at Hampton Court Palace or Somerset House and best of all this Christmas: Sleeping Beauty at Saddler’s Wells. Having practically been begged to give up ballet by my ballet teacher after I’d somehow got to grade 8, I settled on enjoying watching rather than doing it – easier on the toes and easier on the eyes when it’s Carlos Acosta performing.

This Christmas Saddler’s Wells – without a doubt the best dance house in the UK – are hosting the world premiere of Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty. Putting a gothic romantic spin on the fairytale classic, having seen his productions of Swan Lake and Dorian Gray, to say I’m excited about heading home for this production is an excitement. I’ll miss Exeter but a Mother/Daughter bonding session at the ballet followed by dinner and heading across town for the Southbank Christmas Market, lights and art is topping my cultural chart.

http://www.christmasmarkets.co… http://artofdessert.blogspot.c… https://www.wmc.org.uk/Product… http://www.stuardtclarkesrome….

Georgia is in her third year at Exeter studying English and French Law. Last year she headed the Culture team as Local Culture editor, informing all of our lovely readers about the best events and places to explore in this beautiful city. She may have taken off her cultural clogs, but she is still heavily involved in Her Campus Exeter, leading the team as joint President with Florence Christie this year.When she isn’t slaving away at French law, or updating her Tumblr of pretty pictures stolen from other more committed bloggers, she can be spotted in the Forum sipping a hazlenut laté, whilst feeling guilty for said indulgence and Instagramming pictures of Costa cups. When day turns to night, Monday Arena is generally a favourite haunt or when she is feeling particularly edgy you may find her by the quayside at Cellar Door embracing her inner Cara Delvigne- thougbts of Costa on her mind! Although she never says no to a night in with her girls, watching chick flicks- preferably involving Ed Westwick.At the end of this year,  Georgia will continue to pursue her career as a lawyer, saying goodbye to rainy Britain and Bonjour to très chic France, where she will be completing the final year of her degree. Continuing to follow her mantra of work hard play hard, I wouldn’t be surprised if in in no time this girl could give Legally Blonde Elle Brooks a run for her money.
Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...
Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.