ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For those who move abroad at some stage in their life, whether for a gap year, semester/year abroad, or as a major life decision, culture shock goes further than just the initial stage of arriving in an unknown country. In fact, culture shock can take a few weeks or even months to have an effect on people as they move out of the ‘Honeymoon’ stage of the process. According to the experts, there are 4 stages to culture shock.

Stage 1, or the ‘Honeymoon Stage’ is that feeling of excitement and elevation one experiences in a new place where there is so much to explore and do. This, hopefully, will last a while, as you delve into a new city and a new way of life, and perhaps even on short trips this will be the only stage experienced.

The second stage of culture shock is ‘Frustration Stage’, when suddenly the language and cultural barriers become overwhelming. A frustration with not understanding people, not being understood yourself, and not feeling comfortable in this strange land are the dominant feeling of this second stage.

It is also common to feel homesick and perhaps a little depressed at this time, and so it is also important to make an active effort to continue immersing yourself in the culture and to get out and about.

Stage 3, the ‘Adjustment Stage’, is the process of overcoming the barriers that caused stage 2. Especially in a country that speaks a different language, understanding and being able to confidently conduct oneself in that culture will take time.

From experience, it was at least 4-5 months before I felt fully comfortable in Seville in regards to the language. This is also the stage when your social networks will be established, and so it is natural to feel more at home when you have a good group of friends nearby.

The final stage of culture shock is the ‘Acceptance Stage’. This is not to say that everything will be perfect, but you should feel happy and confident living in that new country. A good routine, a strong social network and a comfortable place to work and live will all help towards this as you establish yourself and your new life abroad.

Participate Learning, a company who send teachers abroad, comments that “though it can be one of the hardest parts of travelling, culture shock is just as integral to the experience as the food, people and scenery” of a new place.

Culture shock is a natural part of travelling and living abroad, and it is undeniably something that can help build independence and maturity in us all. It’s true what they say: there must be hard times for us to recognise the good times.

Exeter University Student, studying English Literature and Spanish Athlete and Foodie (see @what.katie.does98 on Instagram) The future Kate Addie...