Cosy Autumnal Recipe – Veggie Orzo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Our final recipe of the series is for a warming portion of veggie orzo. This is an absolute lifesaver if you are tight on time. It takes just 25 minutes to make and is absolutely delicious! It is also really flexible, and you can switch around the vegetables you use depending on what you have the fridge. Most students are unfamiliar with orzo, a rice-shaped pasta which is a perfect alternative to traditional fusilli, penne or spaghetti. Therefore, this quick and healthy dinner makes a perfect alternative to your usual pasta dishes.

Ingredients:

• Drizzle of Olive Oil
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic
  • Vegetables – I usually use ½ courgette, ½ pepper, 3-4 mushrooms and a handful of spinach.
  • 60g Orzo
  • 250ml Vegetable Stock
  • 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
  • 1 tbsp Pesto
  • Pinch of Salt and Pepper

Method:

1. Start by prepping the vegetables, cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Crush the garlic and add to a warm, deep saucepan with a drizzle of oil and the vegetables. Slowly cook on a low heat until soft and slightly browned.
  3. Once the vegetables have cooked, add the orzo, stock and nutritional yeast (if using) and bring the liquid to boil.
  4. Reduce to a simmer and set a 15 minute timer. If the liquid is evaporating too quickly, turn down the heat and a splash more water to stop it drying out.
  5. Once the orzo has cooked and the liquid has evaporated, stir through the pesto and add seasoning to taste.
  6. Empty into a bowl and enjoy!
Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.