Comic Relief: Where Does the Money Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Every year, Comic Relief fever takes over the UK as people don the famous red nose, flock to buy the classic charity single (this year sung by the lovely boys of One Direction) and put on the most colourful fancy dress they can think of. With the big day approaching, Her Campus Exeter took a look at what’s going on both on and off campus, and where all the money goes.

[pagebreak]

What Comic Relief does Internationally

Comic Relief does a lot of work both at home and abroad, supporting causes worldwide. Internationally, this includes issues such as the millions of children living on the street, doing dangerous work in order to survive. Comic relief helps to offer these children an education and access to healthcare, also working with organisations such as the police to protect them from abuse. Health is another key area for Comic Relief, as in Africa 1 child in 5 dies before their fifth birthday – often from easily preventable diseases. Just £5 can buy a mosquito net in Uganda, protecting people from the number one cause of sickness and death in many parts of Africa – malaria.

Comic Relief in the UK

Closer to home, Comic Relief supports crucial work in the UK itself – since it’s founding in 1985, 15,786 UK projects have been funded! Currently, 103 such projects are in the South West. Mental health is one area in which Comic Relief supports crucial work. In the past 25 years, depression and anxiety amongst young people has increased by a staggering 70% – Comic Relief aims to fund work providing help for those who need it. They’ve also helped support the Time to Change campaign, which works to end discrimination of those living with mental health problems. Other causes supported in the UK include domestic and sexual abuse – Comic Relief funds the National Domestic Violence helpline, as well as working to strengthen rape crisis services.

[pagebreak]

Get involved on campus!

So how can you get involved? On campus, RAG are hosting some amazing events. These include a raffle in which one of the prizes is 2 Timepiece gold cards (a definite must!) – tickets are being sold for £1 each in the forum on Thursday 14th and Friday 15th. On Thursday there will be a Comic Relief Clothes Treasure Trove, selling donated items – Mammal Swag and Qcumber Clothing will also be there! Friday 15th sees a plethora of activities – if you were a fan of the Great British Bake Off, you’re in for a treat as RAG will be putting on a Bake Off Showstopper Challenge. A Laughing Yoga session with BodySoc, the classic sponsored chest wax, and a Comic Relief Cabaret round things off – visit the RAG Facebook page for more details.

Comic Relief Events

On a national scale, the Hell and High Water Challenge took place earlier this year and saw celebs such as Chelsee Healey, Dara O’Brein and Greg James – who can forget his skinny dipping episode! – travel down the Zambezi river to raise money for children’s education in Zambia. One Direction are releasing this years Comic Relief single, One Way or Another, whilst Jessie J has even pledged to shave her hair off for Jessie J Dares! Find out more on the Comic Relief website.

Photo Credits: RAG facebook; zambezi-expedition.org; rednoseday.com