Christmas Lights: The World’s Most Beautifully Decorated Cities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Christmas decorations are a trademark of the season, and there aren’t many things that will put you in a festive mood more than a colourful show of lights or a tree covered in glowing baubles. Let’s take a look at how some of the world’s Christmas capitals have been showcasing their festive spirit in the run-up to Advent this year.

London, England

If you didn’t have an excuse to shop in London before, you do now. To celebrate the season, Bond Street has been given a glittering makeover with a host of peacock lights perching above the shop windows. Regent’s Street is also not lacking in glamour as it is garlanded with sparkling white lights, themed this year around the film ‘Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb’.

[pagebreak]

Paris, France

The Parisians are celebrating in style this year, as the wheel on the Avenue des Champs-Elysées is lit and the trees leading up to it are adorned with strings of frosty white-blue lights. A true spectacle of Christmas glamour, the tree in the luxurious Galeries Lafayette is also made entirely of Murano glass.

[pagebreak]

Prague, Czech Republic

The lively Old Town Square in Prague has a magical and traditional appeal at Christmas time, created by its gathering of lights, angel figures and a bustling Christmas market all set against a backdrop of beautiful old-world architecture.

[pagebreak]

Vienna, Austria

It’s difficult to beat the elegance of Vienna at Christmas time as it basks in the twinkling lights of its many Christmas markets. By night, chandelier-esque lights adorn the streets of Graben and the golden décor surrounding the great City Hall makes it look like something straight out of a fairytale.

[pagebreak]

New York City, USA

The giant red bauble sculpture on Sixth Avenue puts a modern twist on Christmas displays for the city that never sleeps. At the Rockefeller Centre, angels flank the walkway to the legendary glittering tree.

[pagebreak]

Medellín, Colombia

This vibrant Colombian city deserves a special mention for its show-stoppingly unique Christmas display across the Medellín River, lit every year in the much-anticipated event El Alumbrado (The Lighting of Medellín).

[pagebreak]

Copenhagen, Denmark

Copenhagen really comes into its own around Christmas time, with tourist hotspots like the deluxe Nimb Brasserie radiating an atmosphere of magic. But no part of the city compares to the Tivoli Gardens, transformed every year into a true Winter wonderland, complete with sweet little gift stalls, twinkling fairy lights and a spectacular light show over the lake.

[pagebreak]

Warsaw, Poland

It’s impossible not to fall for the twinkling candy hues of this Polish capital around Christmas time, with its pretty pinks and purples, glowing gift-wrap and giant candy cane decorations highlighting the sweetness of the season.

Esther is in her second year at the University of Exeter studying English Literature with Proficiency in Spanish. She is currently the Marketing Director for Her Campus Exeter and enjoys dancing, travelling, baking and exploring Exeter with her friends.