This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It is now one of the most popular times of the year to visit Japan – the cherry blossom season. Whether you are interested in going this year or in the future, here is a comprehensive guide of the best cherry blossom viewing spots in Japan.

Ueno Park – Tokyo

Everyone is bound to end up in Tokyo if they ever visit Japan. Ueno Park is one of the most popular spots in Tokyo for this season, and hence will be crowded. It is easily accessible and pretty central. You can find it close to the JR Ueno station.

Chidorigafuchi Park – Tokyo

One of the lesser known spots to visit for cherry blossom viewing. If you don’t want to be in a very crowded area, this can prove to be a comfortable alternative. It is also close to the Imperial Palace, so that’s another potential sightseeing spot.

Maruyama Park – Kyoto

Kyoto, a tourist’s most popular spot for cherry blossom viewing. Maruyama Park is the oldest park in the old capital of Japan. Famous for the weeping cherry trees, it makes it an attractive destination.

Philosopher’s Path – Kyoto

Another popular spot for cherry blossom viewing. The trees are situated alongside a river, creating quite a sight with the cherry blossom petals flowing in the water. You may have also seen this location in one of Joanna Lumley’s documentaries.

Nara Park – Nara

Nara is the less known ancient capital of Japan. The park is full of cherry blossom trees, as well as deer! You can feed and spend a lovely afternoon with the deer, all while viewing the cherry blossoms.

Zoheikyoku (Mint Building) – Osaka

Osaka is another grand city you are likely to visit. Zoheikyoku is known as one of the last spots to visit, since it blooms even after the cherry blossoms in Kyoto have withered. It is a great last chance to see the spring of Japan in full bloom.

Shibazakura of Mt Fuji – Yamanashi

This is an unusual last recommendation. Instead of the cherry blossom trees that you are used to, you can see fields of the same flower.

4th year English student, who just loves to read a little too much. And has a mild obsession with Japan.