Celebrating Halloween Without Hitting the Clubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Halloween is that time of year when most people think of costumes, dressing up, ‘trick or treat’, scary movies and just a few too many sweets. But I think more of pumpkin carving, wearing cozy clothes, watching rom coms on Netflix whilst cuddling up on the sofa with a nice warm drink (for me a pumpkin spice latte!) and a fluffy blanket. I think today, especially when at uni, people feel pressure to go ‘out out’ and party the night away in costume, so if you’re feeling the pressure to go out but actually want to celebrate another way, I’ve made a list of things to do:

1. Pick up a pumpkin and carve it with your friends 

Whether you’re a budding Michelangelo or you don’t even know how to hold a paint brush, none of that matters when you’re carving a pumpkin. You can find some great designs online which you can trace onto the pumpkin or go free hand and make some funny faces that hopefully won’t scare any little visitors away. You can buy pumpkins for as little as £1 in many supermarkets including Sainsburys and Morrisons.

2. Make your uni room feel more seasonal with some DIY crafts 

I do love a DIY craft and there are some really fun ideas out there (you’ll always find loads on Pinterest). Why not try making your own Halloween bunting?

All you need is some card, a pencil, a pair of scissors, and some string. (Tip: if you’re at uni, attach it to your pin board to save space and prevent being told off for sticking things to the walls). To make the bunting simply design whatever you want to hang up, whether it be mini bats, ghosts or pumpkins. Or maybe words are more your thing. Some of my personal favourite Halloween sayings include: ‘Boo and Stuff’, ‘Boos and Booze’, ‘Me and My Wicked Witches’. Then simply hole punch your design and string through some colourful ribbon to allow the bunting to hang.

3. Cook those seasonal dishes you’ve been dying to try

Cooking is one of my favourite pastimes and whenever it gets to a seasonal time, like Halloween, I love to get in the kitchen and try out some new recipes on my friends and family.  Some Halloween treats you could make are: caramel apples, pumpkin spiced cinnamon rolls, ghost brownies, devil horn cupcakes, tortilla bats with salsa or a spiderweb cheesecake. (Just google recipes and get cooking!)

4. Make a Halloween playlist 

Even if Halloween isn’t your favourite holiday, a good playlist will help to put you in the mood. A classic like Rihanna’s ‘Disturbia’ is fab, but also have a listen to Ella Henderson’s ‘Ghost’, Sophie Ellis Bextor’s ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ and Michael Sembello’s ‘Maniac’.

5. Have a ‘Girls night in’ on Halloween with your favourite film and a face mask 

Nothing beats a Girls night in and what a better time to invite your besties over for a night of fun and relaxing. Chill in front of one your favourite films with an indulgent hot chocolate or a pumpkin spice latte and some popcorn. There are some great Halloween movies but you don’t have to watch a scary film just because its Halloween, classics like “Pretty Woman” or “When Harry Met Sally” are perfect for autumn nights in. To add to the movie-night bliss get yourself a face mask, you can leave the masks on and if any trick or treaters come to the door, you’ll have your own version of a Halloween mask!

Happy Halloween however you choose to spend it!

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!