Catching up With Macaw Designs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Macaw Designs started back in 2012 when Ali was looking for a case for her laptop. She couldn’t find one anywhere that she really liked. They all just seemed a bit bland and boring for her liking…or they were too expensive. So as a novice sewer and a wannabe creative, she came up with her own design. Suddenly she found herself designing iPad, glasses and phone cases for her family, friends and friends of friends. But there was only so much sewing she could do so Ali decided to set up her own business Macaw Designs armed with a team of sought-after sewers. Not only does Ali make gorgeous designs she also donates 10% of her profits to the locally-based charity Magic Carpet.

After the successful launch of her company, Her Campus decided to catch up with Ali…

Hi Ali! What have you been up to since the launch? We’ve been selling the cases on the website, in the forum on campus, and at a few events; and working closely with Magic Carpet; and trying to build the brand boosting our presence on social media.

Have you got any plans for new products? Yes, we’re launching two new collections in the next few weeks, which we’re really excited about! The Blufon and Camelot designs are more male-friendly, and of course going to be made up into laptop, iPad, glasses and phone cases so the perfect valentine gift!

We’ve heard a lot about “Pop Up Macaw”, tell us about it! Pop-up shops and events seem to be all the rage at the moment so we’ve decided to jump on the bandwagon! We’re running a pop-up event in Artigiano, Exeter’s latest addition to the high street. We thought it would be really fun to organise an evening where people can come and be creative, hangout and have a nice evening. We have our very own Macaw Designs jigsaw puzzle which people can get stuck into or if they’re feeling more creative they can make their own raggy heart. Everyone will also have the opportunity to see the four collections, Harlequin, Ruby, Shamrock and Calico, and get a sneaky preview of our new products too. We’re really excited about the event and looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Sounds great! Do you have more projects planned for the future? We’d really like to run more “Pop Up Macaw” events. The plan also is to buy an old caravan and renovate it to have as a pop-up shop and travel around the country selling the cases. I am going to hopefully head up to Durham to join up with Her Campus Durham and do an event up there, and sell some products which will be really fun. I am also looking to do more events with the Her Campus girls across the country which would be great!

It sounds as though Macaw Designs is as busy as ever and we at Her Campus will definitely be coming along to “Pop Up Macaw” on Monday 3rd February at Artigiano for 6pm. Girls this definitely seems like one to pencil into the diary… you never know you might just make the perfect valentine’s day gift!

Photo Credits: Ali Gillum