Career Spotlight: Charl Dorney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week HCX have come across Charl Dorney, the brand ambassador for the recruitment company Instant Impact. Here’s what she had to say!

What is instant impact?

So basically it’s a student recruitment company who are trying to recruit for small businesses and start-ups. It’s ideal for people who really want to get down into the nitty-gritty parts of a business – you’re not just going to be running around for coffee with these internships! You’re really going to get stuck in with the core of the business and help them to grow.

What makes them unique as a recruitment agency?

Instant impact’s main ethos is that they are never going to promote an internship or a graduate role that isn’t paid, or isn’t paid to a standard that you can’t live off of. For example if the internship was in London, they would only try to promote an internship that would give you the pay that would allow you to live in London. They believe that no student should have to come out of university and not get paid for what they are genuinely qualified to do.

Instant Impact want to make students aware of the fact that they don’t just have to apply for internships with ‘the big 5’, and that there are instead other internships and graduate schemes out there that will allow you to grow and be a focal part of a team. These sorts of internships are a great alternative to the bigger internships whose deadlines for application have now passed.

So tell us more about the sorts of businesses that Instant Impact recruits for?

They recruit for a whole host of different kind of internships, such as fashion, financing, social media and engineering. They are always promoting a wide range of different schemes, which of course are all paid.

What sort of students are Instant Impact looking to recruit?

Instant Impact cater for all students, it’s not just all about the high achievers; they promote internships that are suitable for people that have no previous experience in the field as well as ones that require some experience. The ‘vacancy’ page goes on and on! You just have to find the right kind of fit for you, and this is what Instant Impact helps you with.

How does Instant Impact work?

You sign up online, and when you do this you upload your CV and say what sort of things you are interested in. They then sort of act like a second interviewer by looking over your CV and see what you are qualified to do and what would be good for you. They then pass your name onto the suitable employers. They are the middle man – they are helping you out so that you don’t apply for internships and graduate schemes that are probably not going to get. They also offer CV and interview advice.

How did you end up becoming a brand ambassador for Instant Impact?

The whole reason that I ended up being a brand ambassador for Instant Impact is because they had a look at my CV and approached me with the job – they said that they thought I had the interest and skills that they were looking for!

What do you do in your role as a brand ambassador?

My main role is managing their various social media outlets that are specific to Exeter. For example I’ll always be on twitter and facebook just sharing posts and trying to spread to word about the amazing opportunities they offer. It’s also my job to answer any questions students might have about internships or the company. I also help organise events and write PR pieces for them. I essentially am helping Instant Impact make their connections within the University.

Would you recommend your role to other students?

I would really recommend this role to any student that is interested in the field of marketing or publicity. It’s a great opportunity to make connections and it is a lot of fun!

If you want to find out more about Instant Impact, head to their website: http://instant-impact.com

Charl’s twitter is @CharlDorney, and she would love to answer any questions you have!

Twitter: @InstantImpactUk

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Instantimpact1

Photo Credits: www.facebook.com, www.theguardian.com, www.pinterest.com