This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way”Harry Burns, When Harry Met Sally.

Every sensible girl takes her worldly knowledge from the classics, and When Harry Met Sally is clearly a classic. But, although it may teach us how to fake the perfect orgasm, it is not the be-all-end-all on male/female friendships. Yes, Harry and Sally live happily ever after, skipping into the distance with their disastrous hair cuts and oversized roll-necks, but this doesn’t mean that your life will follow suit. Just as you shouldn’t follow their fashion statements, you shouldn’t choose this moment to seize your nearest and dearest male friend and stick your tongue down his throat.

For some, a friendship is the stepping-stone of a beautiful relationship. But not for all. Please proceed with care. This Male Best Friend is the one man, other than your father, who can look at your hung-over, make up-free face without grimacing. He is one of the few men who will walk you home without expecting a goodnight snog.

You may have passed off that New Year’s kiss when you clung on a little too long as a fault of the vodka, rather than your heart. But sitting your MBF down and confessing your undying love can be a lot to handle. It can ruin a friendship that has kept you going for years. Plus, you will struggle to find a girl that is as honest about your new haircut as the guy that you just drove away.

So IF you’re thinking about making this step up from friends to lovers, Her Campus has three rules to guide you on your way:

1. Be Sober:

Nothing is less attractive than somebody telling you how much they like you when they can barely remember their own name. This can end in vomit-soaked shoes and a very awkward conversation the morning after. And that’s if you don’t do the dirty and bump uglies. If you do, then don’t worry, it will become a story that will provide endless amusement for all your friends.

1. Be Certain

Don’t deny it. You’ve thought about it. Everyone has. There is always a ‘what if’ moment in every boy/girl friendship. But are you just having a lonely moment as you lurk between boyfriends? If you’re not certain, then don’t take the risk. For your own sakes, and those of your mutual friends; this break up will require more chocolate to get over it than any other.

1. Be Appropriate

Yes, he may have slept in your bed a thousand times, but there is still a time and a place for making a move on your MBF. If either of you is involved with someone else, then perhaps your queries into your friendship is a reflection more on your own relationship than the friendship itself. If you make this mistake, you run the risk of losing the boyfriend and the boy friend.

Negotiating the transition from friends to lovers can be tricky. However, if approached in the right way following our helpful guidelines, Her Campus hopes the journey will be as smooth as possible.

If this article has reignited your love for the classic When Harry Met Sally, make sure that you head to the forum on Valentine’s Day for a special showing all in the name of RAG Week.

Photo Credits: www.kevinknebl.com, www.datedaily.mate1.com, www.1.bp.blogspot.com,

2nd year English Lit student.