Campus Celebrity: Isabelle Rose Wooley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Her Campus had the opportunity this week to catch up with the extremely talented Isabelle, the founder of Crop Top Productions. An Exeter based theatre and film company, Crop Top Productions is staging it’s first ever show, “All My Sons” by Arthur Miller, from 12-14 November in aid of the charity ‘Help for Heroes’. Here we find out about what inspires the face behind the crop top…

How did you first become interested in theatre and film?

I know it is cliché, but I have been interested in the arts, and in particular performing arts, since the beginning of time. There are definitely many home videos of me prancing around to musicals and bossing other children around on stage. Although I have to say I was a bit of a theatre snob, I used to look down on cinema. I never watched films, because I found it hard to connect to them, but I took one film module in first year and I have been addicted since.  I am more film student than English. There is something amazing about creating another reality parallel to our own. 

You spent your second year of uni on the committee of EUTCo- how did you find that experience?

The biggest learning curve ever. It was very stressful, but an invaluable experience. Being on committee meant I was affectively part of three shows every term plus any other events. So I spent a whole year running after many producers, which really built my confidence and made me realise that I want to be organising my own projects. I think EUTCo was a an opportunity to network and also to teach me business skills that I can use in the future.

A cheesy yet inevitable question: what is your all-time favourite play?

I do not really have a favourite play, because I think how the production is put together and how the script is bought to life is what really matters. Obviously a bad script is no good, but the acting, directing and all of the other components are the pathway to which the words arrive to the audience. Oh god, I sound so artsy. But anyways, I saw a brilliant production of A View from the Bridge at the Young Vic, directed by Ivo van Hove, it was just unbelievable. A perfect show. Also, Hamlet. Oh my god, Hamlet.

What inspired you to set up the brilliantly named Crop Top Productions?

Haha. Well, for a while I had it playing on my mind. I wanted to create a fun, personal environment to put on lots of different projects and to work with lots of different people. I wish I had started it sooner, it is so much fun. I obviously want to pursue this career, but I want to be marginal for a bit because then I can experiment and discover what kind of projects I am interested in.

Also I usually wear crop tops, so the name just seems so fitting.

When can we expect to see your first production? 

Our first production is All My Sons by Arthur Miller, which will be performed on the 12th-14th November in the M&D room. You can reserve tickets by emailing our producer Kelly: kb407@exeter.ac.uk

All My Sons is going to be performance packed with drama and is definitely worth going to see. All ticket sales are going to our chosen charity Help for Heroes: Support our Wounded.

Now for the awful question which every final year student detests-what are your plans for the future of Crop Top Productions, and yourself?

If I am honest, I am not completely sure what the future will hold for me. But I am totally okay with that, because you never know what is around the corner. I hope I will keep Crop Top Productions going. I am planning on experimenting with New Writing, so my own written projects, and I am very keen to create a film. So hopefully you will hear more from me soon.

Don’t forget to check out Crop Top Productions here:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/croptopproductions

Twitter: www.twitter.com/croptopprod

Maxine Vining is currently a 3rd year History and Politics student, and Current Affairs Editor at HCX.