Campus Celebrity: Helena Storen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week for Campus Celebrity we got chatting to the Nordic beauty that is Helena Storen. Helena is a second year studying International Relations. Next year Helena will be taking over the role of president for the Association of Norwegian Students Abroad (ANSA). Here’s what Helena has to say about being the future president of ANSA.

Can you tell us a little about what ANSA is?

I have to clarify that the Norwegian society isn’t like the other societies, and doesn’t have anything to do with the Guild etc. It is actually called ANSA which stands for Association of Norwegian Students Abroad, and is a non-profit organisation that works to promote Norwegian students’ interests while we’re studying abroad, and also has a lot of contact with the Norwegian government regarding funding of higher education and student loans. We have a President and a General Secretary that works in Oslo, so our little committee only represents ANSA members who study in Exeter, while other uni’s in other countries have their separate committees.

What does your role entail?

My role is to organise meetings with the rest of the committee and help with planning events. I also communicate with the ANSA UK committee so I’m the link between our local Norwegian society and the UK committee.

What do you enjoy most about being a part of ANSA?

It’s a lot of fun being a part of ANSA and getting to hang out with other Norwegians studying abroad. Living in a different country can sometimes be a bit scary so it’s always nice to be able to spend time with people who are in the same position as you.

Is it just people from Norway that can join Norwegian Society?

Yes, we are not like a regular uni society, in order to become a member you have to have a Norwegian ID number, sort of like a US social security number. BUT anyone is welcome to join the Scandic society which I’m also a member of, and is so so so much fun!

What are your plans for the future as president?

I’m definitely going to continue with some of the events this year’s committee organised, but next year maybe have some socials that involve alcohol, as all our socials this year have been teetotal. All of our socials are funded by the ANSA HQ, but they don’t pay for alcohol, and I’m sure members won’t mind paying a little extra if we manage to get some good deals. Although we usually can’t keep up with British students, Norwegians still know how drink! I also want to promote ANSA so that all Norwegian students at Exeter join.

Quickfire questions:

Fave Exeter nightclub? Anything but Unit 1

Fave food? Anything but olives

Fave film? Anything without Adam Sandler

Place you want to travel to? India