Budapest Bucket List: Top 5 Ruin Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Budapest has become famous for its varied, unique and quirky nightlife, and with its ever growing popularity, new places to drink are popping up left right and centre! Decorated with vintage furniture, sculptures, fairy lights and even the odd car, ruin bars are found inside dilapidated buildings, old factories and even abandoned school houses and lend a unique charm to Budapest’s nightlife. Enjoy a chilled drink during the day, sample the Hungarian speciality fruit brandy Pálinka (not for the faint hearted!), and soak up the buzzing atmosphere during the night time! So popular they’re on most tourist maps now, Her Campus rounds up 5 of the best ruin pubs around.

Szimpla Kert

Kazinczy utca 14

The original and arguably one of the best, Szimpla Kert is a winding maze of eccentrically decorated rooms – watch out for the car-turned-seating area outside! – and offers a truly unique experience with an atmosphere second to none. Have a beer in a bathtub, check out the room covered in computer screens and wires, and soak up the truly amazing atmosphere whilst getting to know the person sitting next to you. There’s also a farmers market every Sunday if that wasn’t enough!

Instant

Nagymező utca 38

Boasting 23 rooms, including 4 dance floors and 6 bars, Instant is truly a place to let your hair down. From the giant owl looking over the main seating area, to the eclectic wallpaper and foozball tables, this place is full of surprises! Prepare to get lost wandering from room to room, before dancing well into the night with locals and tourists alike.

Fogasház

Akácfa utca 51

Literally meaning ‘tooth house’, Fogasház stands in what used to be a dental laboratory, and is easily recognisable by the giant mouth sculpture opposite! More than just somewhere to party (although it’s pretty great for this too!) emphasis is placed on this being cultural space as well as a ruin bar – you’ll also find exhibitions, film screenings and concerts here.

Corvintető

Blaha Lujza tér 1-2, tram stop Blaha Lujza tér, entry fee applicable.

Recently refurbished and situated above a Spar supermarket, this bar/club offers great views over Budapest from the huge roof terrace as well as a great place to enjoy a drink (or two!) – which you’ll deserve having negotiated the numerous flights of stairs! Best enjoyed in Summer as it’s mostly open air, this is one not to be missed.

Lokál Bar

Dob utca 18

A slightly more chilled out option, this smaller bar is full of character. With an emphasis on jazz and swing music, the cosy courtyard area is perfect for a relaxing after a busy day sightseeing! Salsa nights, live music and good drinks prices make for a great evening out with a difference.

Image Sources:

http://bebudapest.hu/venue/szimpla-kert-the-ruin-pub/

http://instant.co.hu/en/galeria/

http://www.hotelsbudapesthungary.eu/tourist_programs/Budapest/corvinteto-club/1231