This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

On Wednesday evening the biggest British awards ceremony took place at the O2 arena in London. Our British stars came out in their multitudes to celebrate the best of the British music world, we even had a few guests from across the pond. Emeli Sande and Ben Howard both took home the most awards, earning two each. HCX was keeping a close eye on what the celebs were wearing for the evening.

Taylor Swift absolutely killed it at the Brits this year (excluding her bizarre wedding like dress on stage). For the red carpet she rocked a floor-length black Elie Saab belted gown, complete with thigh-high slits. This was a nice change from Taylor’s usual good girl look. Rumour has it she was showing Mr Styles what he’s missing. Apparently he even said she looked great – you got that right Harry!

Talking of Harry Styles, the 1D boys looked as dapper as ever in a mixture of Alexander McQueen, Burberry, Topman and ASOS. They have definitely mastered the designer/high street combo as they looked slick both together and individually. One Direction picked up the award for Global success which is really no surprise after their incredible US domination.

Beautiful British model Jourdan Dunn sizzled in a yellow Balmain mini dress. Not many could pull off this heavily embellished number, but having walked in many a show during LFW this girl certainly can! Her strappy black stilettos complete the look and Jourdan lets her dress do the talking opting to avoid heavy make up or accessorising.

As per usual Alexa Chung was spot on with her look. She kept it low key with a white Valentino playsuit. The playsuit is often a tricky look to get right, yet they’re set to be a big trend for S/S 2013. This Valentino one is very simple and girlie with subtle embroidery making it ooze a little romance. Alexa knows how to put outfits together and like Miss Dunn she left the accessories and jewellery at home, just adding a pair of black Jimmy Choo pumps to the look. Her make-up was warm and natural, giving her a healthy, summery glow.

Amongst the well-dressed celebrities there are always some shockers. Rita Ora rocked up in a very questionable Ulyana Sergeenko peach dress. Rita often throws odd combinations together and this dress was certainly aligned with her usual quirky style. The dress had nice backless detailing, yet then there was a large amount of fabric gathered over her bottom, which really didn’t do her any favours. The only really good thing about her look was her trademark red lippy. For the SONY after party Rita chose a more fashion-forward simple black sequin dress with a cheeky thigh-high slit.

Gemma Arterton didn’t do her figure any justice and wore a red sequin Jonathan Saunders combination. The overall look was rather frumpy and made her look far beyond her years from the neck down. She paired the red outfit with some odd blue soled sandals. Gemma should stick to a more youthful look for now!

Lana Del Rey picked up the prize for Best International Female. On the red carpet she kept it very simple with a black Chanel shirt dress and some Jimmy Choos. This outfit was sweet and safe and stayed true to her retro style. Lana paired her look with an on-trend fishtail plait.

The always quirky Paloma Faith chose a bejewelled Dolce & Gabbana gown for the award ceremony. This dress had a playful feel to it which perfectly matched Paloma’s personality. She matched the nude dress with simple nude accessories which kept the attention on the intricate jewels on the dress.

Bond Girl Berenice Marlohe chose to wear a gold metallic floor-length dress. The shape showed off her spectacular curves, yet the material looked a little like tin-foil. Luckily her killer body drew attention away from the slightly cheap looking material and instead, your eyes were drawn to her waist and above.. Her hair was simply pulled to the side in a messy style, leaving her smokey eyes on show.

Even the award itself was looking it’s best having been made-over in polka dots by the world’s wealthiest artist, Damien Hirst. All in all the Brits was as always a fantastic event, full of celebration for our talent filled country. Bring on the Brits 2014!

Photo credits: http://www.vogue.co.uk/spy/celebrity-photos/2013/2/20/brit-awards-2013/gallery/12
http://www.designweek.co.uk/Pictures/web/n/v/z/statu_482.jpg