Bouncers: Buddies or Baddies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

On a night out, what to wear and drinking one too many jager-bombs is the main concern for many of us. However, following the dismissal of two bouncers at the much-loved student bar, the Lemmy, after an instance of verbal abuse; HCX have investigated how students view the bouncers in Exeter.

Love them or hate them: the topic was met here at HXC with controversy. Whilst one student commented that the bouncers in Exeter were generally “up for a laugh”, an opposing student retaliated that their “take-no-rubbish attitudes make them aggressive and rude; usually to the wrong students!” Whilst we sympathise with the annoyance bouncers must struggle with when dealing with an alcohol-fuelled mob of students, we’d like to think there aren’t too many trouble makers in Exeter and we deserve a bit more respect. Primarily, bouncers are there to ensure that there is no trouble but the tactics they approach this with varies between clubs. Their attitudes can dictate whether you have the best or worst start and end to your night. Those who have experienced the unmoving mosh-pit that is the queue to the top floor of Mosaic, will understand that there is only one way for the bouncers to deal with it: to be blunt and intolerant.  But when the bouncers of the Lemon Grove decide to reorganise the queue after hundreds of students have been queuing for over an hour, we begin to question their methods of control.

Here are some of the top stories we found:

“I tried to smuggle my drunk friend into a Timepiece Wednesday last year after a Hockey Christmas dinner and the bouncer wouldn’t let her in. This was fair enough but as she walked away he called her a slut… She isn’t one.”

“After a very loose night in Mozzers last year I got man-handled out of the club. I woke up with bruises all up my arm. Then again, admittedly, my memory is pretty hazy from that night…”

“I have a great relationship with the bouncers at the Lemmy who even posed for a cheeky photo with me.”

“During Freshers I was chucked out of Arena. The next night I was back and they recognised me. We had a giggle.”

“I have a good relationship with the Arena bouncers. If I take a drink on to the dance floor they simply pick me up and move me.”

This debate surrounding bouncer behaviour is one that is sure to be continued. The general consensus seems to be if you don’t drink too much (or at least look like you have), bouncers seem to treat you with respect; although this doesn’t necessarily justify the bouncers aggressive behaviour towards the drunk and disorderly.

Here at HCX we would love to hear more of what you have to say on the topic; if you have any opinions and stories comment below!

Photo credits: www.artsandculutreexeter.co.uk, www.worldwidedojo.com, www.guardnow.com