stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

In a university environment, it is hard to avoid the ever-lingering subject of alcohol; whether you’re following a swaying student home from a night out or you’re sat next to the student nursing a hangover at your 9 o’clock lecture, it is hard not to be influenced by the notorious substance. But when is the line crossed from social drinking to alcoholic abuse?

Binge drinking is classified as those who regularly: a) drink to get drunk b) drink more than the daily unit guidelines in a single session or c) drink quickly – and there is evidence of all three existing at university. So why do people drink to such an extent? What exactly is gained from superfluous alcohol consumption? For many, the prospect of talking to strangers can be a daunting challenge; this fear is somewhat lessened and a sense of confidence gained as a result of drinking, in a way, they become a new, more assertive person. For others, they almost feel obliged to hop on the alcohol ‘band-wagon’. Peer and social pressure take hold and they are forced into excessive drinking for fear of missing out, (we’ve all been there, you plan to have a night in and then the thought of all your friends having fun without you is persuasion enough to abandon your studies and head straight for the liquor).

However, with copious amounts of alcohol being consumed, the risk of calamities is increased. Accidents and falls are incredibly common as the alcohol affects both your balance and your co-ordination. This is the reason for those inexplicable bruises that undoubtedly present themselves on your legs and arms the morning after and explains why the majority of students have been witness to at least three drunkards stumbling at their feet. Then there’s the issue of vomiting, a clear sign that you’ve drunk too much, it’s your body’s way of expressing distress so whenever this happens, the tank is full and therefore does not need reloading with yet more alcohol (many seem to struggle with this concept, and have thus created the ‘tactical chunder’). Finally, there are the changes in mood and memory. Many drinkers have suffered from ‘blackouts’ in which they are unable to remember a single aspect from a certain period of time, and others may be unaware that they are displaying signs of anti-social, aggressive and violent behaviour hence why the number of fights is sincerely increased at night.

Now the serious aspect: alcohol abuse causes many health issues ranging from brain impairment to liver malfunction, neither of which is desirable. Along with these severe anatomical difficulties, there’s the issue of bad skin and poor complexion that no self-respecting student wants to be faced with. However, it is possible to escape these frightful problems by drinking smaller amounts, eating more prior to going out and there is no harm in ordering a single rather than a double (it’s far cheaper as well).

However alcohol affects you, there are very few people who can honestly say that the better version of themselves appears on a night out. So, moral of the story: drink responsibly and say no to that last drink offer at the tale end of a night, this will considerably assist you in the conservation of your dignity and I guarantee you will feel considerably better in the morning as a result. 

Image Credits: telegraph.co.uk, belfastismymojo.blogspot.co.uk, thefounder.co.uk