This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the festive season is kicking off with the much anticipated Christmas Adverts. There are so many this year that will undoubtedly get you in the festive mood (and maybe a bit teary😢). So grab a mince pie, and a box of tissues and let’s kick this festive season off…

McDonalds ‘Imaginary Iggy’

‘You’re never too old to have an imagination’ 

A very shy young Matilda has an imaginary friend, Iggy, who she shares her childhood Christmas memories with. Including feeding reindeers carrot sticks. As Matilda grows older she forgets about her love for Christmas and Iggy fades, and she puts Iggy in the back of her wardrobe. 

When she sees a young boy in McDonalds feeding an imaginary reindeer carrot sticks, which prompts her to rush home and pull Iggy out of the wardrobe where they reunite after years. 

Time After Time, which is performed by UK pop star Mabel, playing in the background, this advert is sure to pull at your heartstrings. 

Also side note – 10p from every download of Time After Time going to food charity, FareShare, McDonald’s are also spreading the spirit of giving for Christmas this year! (So get it playing on repeat!) 

Aldi ‘A Christmas Carrot’ 

‘In order to be happy, you need to be kind’ 

A play on the classic A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (or in this advert Charles Chickens), with the return of Kevin the carrot. This advert has enough puns to last you the whole festive season, with names like Ebanana Scrooge, Marcus Radishford, and lots more gems this is certain to get you in the festive mood. 

If you look closely you can see Cuthbert the Caterpillar being arrested in the opening shot. (Is this Aldi making light of their recent court case with M&S over Collin) 

Aldi are donating 1.8 million meals this Christmas time to families in need so its fine if you rewatch it multiple times a day from now until Christmas. 

In my eyes this is the best one this year – entertaining, heartwarming and funny (or should I say punny😉) 

Barbour: Paddington, Please Look After This Bear

‘For gifts they will always remember’

Nostalgic vibes, a beautiful animation with a lot of heart, another tear jerker. This year Barbour have collaborated with Paddington Bear, to produce arguably the cutest advert this Christmas. This advert follows Paddington as he picks out presents for everyone and gets stuck on Mr Brown, and he decides on re-waxing the Barbour jacket that Mr Brown wore when he found Paddington Bear. Leaving a note in the pocket that says ‘thank you for looking after me’

‘This jacket is part of the family just like you are paddington’ 

It’s nostalgic, humorous and sentimental (and likely to cause a tear or two)

Boots: Bags of Joy

This one had me a bit teary (okay at this point I’m a bit of a mess.) 

Featuring Jenna Coleman, it’s emotional, sparkly, joyful and will get you feeling festive. Although slightly materialistic, it’s giving me Mary Poppins vibes and who doesn’t love giving at this time of year. 

This ad reminds you of the joy of being around friends and family around this time of year, and I think especially given the past two years, for some people this Christmas will feel extra special and this advert really captures it. It’ll make you want to go dance with your friends, and give your nan a big hug. 

Debenhams: A Christmas like never before

‘Because being together is at the top of the list’ 

‘A Christmas like never before.’

This advert reminds us of the Christmas we missed last year, reminiscing on everything we couldn’t do last year due to the pandemic. Missing first days of school, and highlights everything we should do this year at Christmas, and remembering that this year we should treasure being close to our loved ones.

Again another tear-jerker (you’d think I would be all cried out at this point but no..)

Lidl: Big on a Christmas you can ALWAYS believe in 

Rocking around the christmas tree playing, a classic crhstimas dinner scene with turkey, and trimmings…and a glimpse into the future – where we are living on the moon, but Lidl’s prices are still the same!

Very futuristic, and funny. A nice break halfway through this list from the tears. 

‘Even when we are carving turkeys with lasers we’ll always be Lidl on price’ – you heard it from Lidl first!

John Lewis: An unexpected guest

The one we have all been waiting for!

We follow a young boy who sees a UFO crash close to his house, he meets an alien who has never experienced Christmas before. Nathan takes it upon himself to show her all the wonders of the Christmas (Mince pies, movies, and snow ball fights), all while making a new friend. 

My eyes might have been a bit wet…with electric dreams sung by Lola Young, this advert is ET meets stranger things. Heartwarming although not as festive as it could have been (IMO).  

M&S: Percy Pig comes to life

With Dawn French, and Tom Holland, it really is a British Christmas Ad, and will definitely get your mouth watering.

The first features none other then Percy the Pig as he’s finally brought to (animated) life when Dawn French’s fairy drops her magic wand on some Percy wrapping paper.

Nothing like good old British M&S for brilliant innovative Christmas treats…. can’t wait.

Anyways I think I am all cried out at this point, these are some of my favourite adverts this year! And I sure am in the festive mood now – I hope you are too!

Jess Dadson

Exeter '22

Hi I am a fourth-year Natural Sciences Student at the University of Exeter. My hobbies include rewatching Greys (or Gilmore Girls), and taking pictures of every cat I see!