Being a Tourist in Exeter: A Month-By-Month Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So that is it, summer is over and it is time to head back down the M5 to (I hope) sunny Exeter. But after a summer exploring Croatia, India or even Peru, most of us will have been bitten by the travel bug. However, worry not, here at HCX we are here to show you how you can be a tourist in your very own city, with our handy month by month guide.

September

After a typically rainy British summer, we are currently experiencing some gorgeous sun down in the South West, meaning that September is the perfect time to visit the best beaches that Devon has to offer. A favourite for Exeter students is obviously Exmouth, but if you venture a little further south you can reach so many glorious beaches in Devon and Cornwall – we didn’t choose to study down south for no reason!

October

October is all about everything spooky and magical. This makes it the perfect time to explore Exeter’s Harry Potter past, as one of our famous alumni is JK Rowling. Did you know she took inspiration from her university town when writing her bestseller? Pop down to Diagon Alley (Gandy Street), grab a butter beer (or toffee cider) in the Leaky Cauldron (Firehouse) or head onto our very own campus to explore the Chamber of Secret’s toilets (Washington Singer girl’s toilets).

November

As tourists, sometimes you want to visit somewhere a little off the beaten track. So, this November do just that and head to Ottery St Mary to experience Bonfire Night as a local. Crowds gather through the streets of this sleepy town, waiting for the locals to run through with flaming tar barrels on their backs. Freshers and Instagrammers, opportunity you will not want to miss!

December

Forget forking out for a costly plane ticket to Germany this December. Instead head to the Cathedral Green for Exeter’s very own Christmas Market. Cute market stalls line the streets filled with fresh, local produce and one of a kind Christmas gifts. The perfect place for a mulled wine fuelled date whilst absorbing the Christmas spirit. 

January

Dreaming of heading off on a ski trip this New Year but haven’t quite got the funds to cover it? Fear not, Exeter has its very own dry ski slope that will make you feel just like you’re in Val Thorens. Grab a bunch of mates and head to Timepiece for the Après.

February

Exam season is finally over so we can now get back to being tourists in our lovely city again. There’s still a chill in the air, so why not wrap up warm and head to the Cathedral this month? Head out to Tea on the Green with the girls and finish off with a little tour of the Cathedral. Who needs to head to Barcelona or Milan when we have our own spectacular Cathedral right here in Exeter?

March

Fancy visiting the only underground passages open to the public in Britain? Well don’t worry about travelling too far as these very passages are in Exeter. Fuel your cultural quota this Easter by discovering Exeter’s history whilst having a fun day out. This one’s perfect for friends or family visiting – a real tourist experience. 

April

With the weather starting to brighten up, April is the perfect time to venture down to the Quay. Wander along the river and end up at On The Waterfront for a pizza and a glass of wine. This is the perfect time of year to pretend that you’re on holiday, eating al fresco, admiring the views. Sunglasses required for people watching, obviously.

May

Exam season has well and truly hit Exeter so tourism isn’t the first thing on our minds. However, a study break is always welcome so why not distract yourself by rounding up all the girls and heading out climbing! It’s a great way to get rid of that stress and get your head back into gear for that next library session. The Quay Climbing Centre is the perfect tourist activity for May.

June

Exam season is over and summer is finally here again! Before you head back home for the holidays, make sure you stick around for a few weeks to enjoy all that Exeter has to offer. June is the perfect time to visit the quay, head to the beach or even hire canoes on the river. But don’t forget that we have Exmoor right on our doorstep. So before the year’s out, Pretend you’re part of Taylor Swift’s girl squad and are hiking in the LA mountains. Picnic compulsory.

So that’s it collegiettes, that’s your tourist guide for Exeter, make the most of living in such an amazing tourist destination – you’re never going to get bored in Exeter! 

HCX Travel Editor 2015-16 Georgina is a final year Modern Languages student at the University of Exeter. Currently studying French, Spanish and Portuguese, Georgina loves to travel and has worked in Spain, France and Portugal, as well as having just travelled around South America. Full of stories, hints and tips for the keen student traveller, Georgina can't wait to get involved with HCX and help to inspire wanderlust in all of the readers.