jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Being ‘in a relationship’ at Uni – Yay or Nay?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Getting into a relationship at University can seem pretty intense, so we spoke to some Exeter couples to get their opinion on being ‘in a relationship’ during their Uni years.

How do you balance your relationship with uni work?

G: As a busy bean I don’t find balancing it too much of a struggle. There are some weeks when I drowning in deadlines and I always think I won’t find the time for him. But I personally believe it to be all about priorities. Even if it’s just lunch on campus or walking home together. There’s no rule book of how much time you should spend together, just do you.

R: You generally get into a pattern of which nights a week you’ll see your SO, like with my boyfriend he always sleeps over at mine on a Wednesday night and we walk onto campus together Thursday morning. And when either of us are struggling with work deadlines, the other will make dinner for us both, which relieves a bit of stress. It’s hard to find time for everything, but it’s worth it.

M: You just find time for each other. If either of us are particularly busy with looming deadlines then we both just make time for each other at another stage in the week or see each other more briefly. There is always time somewhere in the week you can allocate to each other

How has being in a relationship affected your university experience?

G: Being in a relationship at University is definitely different to being single. University at times can be a lonely time but it means that I always have someone by my side. For sure it takes up a chunk of my time but I like it that way. I do seem to go out less but I feel that’s a symptom of second year stress.

R: Luckily for me, my boyfriend is part of my main friendship group and so being with him hasn’t impacted the amount of time I get to spend with my friends. One of the pluses is that I always have someone to take to end of year balls and all sorts of events.

M: Well there are numerous ways it affects my uni experience, not negatively though. I guess the obvious point about it affecting my uni experience is the fact that if you are in a relationship then you’re not sleeping around like the typical uni ‘lad’. In that regard, I dont feel that I’m missing out, I’m happy with the person I am with and she is very attractive so why shop anywhere else?

What do you wish you’d been told before going into a relationship at University?

When I asked my friend how often she thinks seeing her boyfriend works/ how often should I see mine she just said the thing is no one knows your relationship like you do and you just do what works for you guys. And I honestly don’t think I could’ve been given any better advice.

R: I don’t think I’d need to be told anything, you just muddle through and figure it all out as you go along. I lived with my boyfriend for a year and you just get on with it, I don’t think that it’s the nightmare that a lot of people make it out to be.

M: I cant think of anything I wish I had been told before a uni relationship, I guess it is just like any adult relationship but with less money and more midweek nights out. With relationships you just learn as you go, what I’ve learned is to not be afraid to piss each other off a bit, no one is a mind reader so let them know how you feel.

What are the greatest parts of a relationship at University?

G:

1) Procrastinating whilst watching your boyfriend eat £10 worth of Pret

2) When your housemates are driving you up the wall you have another home to escape too

3) Getting someone to proof read all your essays

R: The best part of being in a relationship is having someone that you can just totally chill out with. Housemates are great fun but it’s nice having somewhere else you can escape to. 

M: The greatest part of a uni relationship is the companionship and the ability to confide. Uni is stressful and often gets the better of us, so having someone to talk to and hug when your struggling is a big help. Going to a club knowing you’ve pulled is also a plus

Exeter Contributor