This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Chocolate, alcohol, and skipping lectures…these are just a number of things we struggle to give up for Lent. Whether a bad day tempts us towards that bar of dairy milk, or a late night stops us from going to our 9am, resolutions always seem to fall short of their finishing date. So this year we’re taking a different approach. Instead of encouraging you to cut out your indulgences, Her Campus has compiled a list some of our favourite beauty products that we think you should treat yourself to. There are some things you should never cast aside, even if it is only for a few weeks.  So here’s to giving up on, well, giving up!

[pagebreak]

MAC Crèmeblend Blush

Nobody wants to be caught without a rosy glow, and tinted cheeks are just the thing to lift your complexion. This gorgeous crème blush from MAC will work wonders in the months leading to summer. As opposed to a powder blush, this crème product will look much more natural, and using a liquid brush to apply it will give you an instantly airbrushed finish. Also, because of its creamy texture, your skin will remain dewy and natural, and it won’t look cakey. It blends beautifully, especially on top of a liquid foundation, and we have found that it holds well, so it’s perfect for a long day on campus. The downside is that it’s £17.50, but you only have to use a tiny amount, so like most MAC products it will last a long time. MAC offers a range of colours to suit all skin tones, so you’ll find a perfect match.

[pagebreak]

The Balm Stainiac Lip and Cheek Stain

We’re all about getting a good bargain at Her Campus, and this is a great product at an even better price. This lip and cheek stain rivals Benefit’s hugely expensive Benetint stain (£24.50), and is a fraction of the cost at just £10 from Amazon. Having used both, we think The Balm’s thicker texture lasts longer and gives a more even colour. It’s ideal for popping in your pocket for a night out or around campus for a little splash of colour on your lips and cheeks. Its watery base means it won’t dry out too quickly, making it more moisturising than a lipstick. We think it works best as a lip tint: Just slather it on your lips for a healthy glow. It has great sticking power and is super easy to apply.

[pagebreak]

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes Mascara

We think every girl needs Better Than False Lashes mascara by Too Faced. It contains two brushes, one for the base and topcoat, and another with a fluffy texture you apply in between, to add to the length and thickness of your lashes. With three easy steps, your eyes will be transformed and those eyelashes will look luxuriously long and thick. It’s perfect for a night out as it saves you the hassle of false lashes with its thickening effect. It may be a little on the steep side at £30 but if you are a fan of falsies, it’s cheaper than having to repeatedly buy new eyelashes. HCX top tip: Only use a light layer on your lower eyelashes, otherwise the thick mascara may stick to both sets of lashes, and sight is preferable on a night out.

[pagebreak]

Lush Ocean Salt

With deadlines slowly creeping up on us, we have definitely been in need of some serious pampering at HCX. There’s no better way to treat yourself than with a touch of exfoliation to get rid of dead skin cells and leave your skin feeling fresh. We love Ocean Salt from Lush: this handmade exfoliator containing coarse salt will not only clear your face of any impurities, it will also leave your skin feeling incredibly smooth.  Although most exfoliators tend to leave your skin feeling tight and dry after use, the natural components of Lush Ocean Salt such as avacado butter and extra virgin coconut oil do an amazing job of leaving your skin moisturised. If you need even more convincing, not only does it work for exfoliating your body, it also does a great job on your face too. At only £6.95, this product is definitely one we are not willing to give up.

[pagebreak]

Maybelline The Rocket Mascara

Maybelline’s The Rocket Mascara has created a buzz in the beauty world and we’re keen to see what all the hype is about. The Rocket is the latest addition to Maybelline’s Volume Express and after much anticipation, it exceeds expectation. If you can look past the slightly overwhelming size of the brush, the cute purple design will definitely win you over, and the separated thick bristles will leave your eyelashes looking significantly longer without any clumping. The incredible formulation of the product doesn’t disappoint, with just one coat leaving your eyelashes looking fuller and longer. It’s hard to believe that a product this affordable (only £7.99 in Boots) can give the same or maybe even better results than any of the high end mascaras.

Picture Credits

www.pinterest.co.uk

http://www.toofaced.com/c-114-mascara.aspx

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog…

http://www.amazon.co.uk

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/306/Ocean-Salt-Facial-Scrub-100g

www.tumblr.com

Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.