Style > Beauty

The Beauty Buzz: September Glossybox Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For all the make-up addicts out there, Glossybox is the ultimate monthly treat. For £10 a month, the people at Glossybox deliver a host of the latest beauty goodies to your doorstep. We were lucky enough to review September’s offering, a special ‘London Edition’ to celebrate London Fashion Week, complete with an amazing design and five miniature products. As money starved students, the Glossybox  is a great way to test things before buying at full price, and also a lovely care-package to receive from parents (cough, take the hint parents). Founded in 2011, Glossybox has gone on to operate in 15 countries, having sold over 4 million boxes, and  now works with over 100 brands to give customers the best of the beauty crop. They offer different pay plans to accommodate each customer’s subscription needs, and now cater to a younger audience with the ‘Miss Glossybox’ range delivered bi-monthly for £7. Sounds pretty great, right? So what is in the September box?

Each box contains 5 miniature products with some variation between boxes, a leaflet explaining your goodies, and the newly launched GB Mag, featuring exclusive interviews, discounts and helpful how-to guides. The presentation is certainly very impressive, and judging by their past designs, (a favourite of ours was the July seaside box) they clearly work hard to give customers unique boxes which can decorate bedrooms and dressing tables. Let’s find out what was inside…

1.  Elizabeth Arden’s latest perfume ‘Untold’ in a 5ml bottle, described as a ‘luxurious and modern floral fragrance’ celebrating the ‘multi-faceted modern woman.’ The fragrance is a lovely daytime scent, with top notes of raspberry and blackcurrant, and base notes of sandlewood and patchouli heart, making it light enough to pop on for a day on campus. The white and gold packaging and golden bottle are sophisticated and classy, and would adorn any bedroom perfectly. Retailing at £48 for 50ml at Debenhams, this shows that with Glossybox you can get your hands on some expensive products for less!

2.   A decent 30ml sized bottle of Toni and Guy’s Classic Shine and Gloss Serum in a limited edition packaging by Lulu Kennedy, which retails at £7.19. With humid weather and increasing showers, frizzy hair will need a bit of help achieving a sleek look. This serum is lightweight and adds shine without becoming greasy, and it’s definitely an essential hair product for winter.

[pagebreak]

3.  Dr Lipp’s Original Nipple Balm for Lips caught us off guard! This lip balm was developed as a nipple cream for breastfeeding women, so its 100% natural and odourless formula is amazing for hydrating and healing chapped lips, a clear problem with the approaching cold. A 3ml bottle may not sound like much, but the balm is so thick that only a little needs to be applied, and we noticed our lips felt much smoother after use. It is also highly versatile (as you can probably tell from the name) and can be used on dry skin, burns and even for shaping eyebrows!  This balm retails at £11.50 and is available at www.drlipp.com.

4. One of the best products in this month’s Glossybox is Eylure’s Pre-Glued Lashes, a full sized product retailing at £5.06. These lashes solve the fiddly business of using eyelash glue, with the self-adhesive lashes coming with their own sticky strip, so you can apply with ease, and adjust on your eye without worrying about messing up with glue. They feel as secure as if you had applied the glue yourself, and come with another adhesive strip so you can wear them again. Also, these falsies aren’t too long, so they are great for Exeter’s understated night out look.

5. Finally, another near full sized product, the Onyx Eyeliner from American brand Be a Bombshell comes in the form of a marker pen, which is $14 at beabombshell.com. The marker pen design means that you are less likely to ruin a perfect line with a slip using liquid eyeliner, which is an issue for those of us with a less than steady hand. This product is great for perfecting a dramatic night out look, or just adding some definition to your eyes for a lecture.

So as you can see, the September Glossybox features a variety of amazing products which you may not have tried before (Dr Lipp’s Nipple Lip Balm for one) We can’t wait to see what creative designs the team come up with next, and what luscious products they have in store for us in October!

You can subscribe at http://www.glossybox.co.uk/

Picture Credits: www.pretty-in-pink-blog.com, www.glossybox.co.uk

Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.