Style

Autumn Style Inspiration from the Big Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

During this time of year, when the weather differs between being bright and crisp or bitter and dreary, it can be quite challenging to decide on what to wear. To spark some wardrobe creativity, look no further than your favourite style mavens of film and TV to see how they tackle autumn dressing. From inventive layering to joyous statement pieces, their sartorial tips are sure to liven up your daily drudge to campus.

Kathleen Kelly – You’ve Got Mail

While you could cite Meg Ryan in any rom-com as a source of autumn style inspiration, the actress’ turn as the endearing bookshop owner in You’ve Got Mail has the easiest wardrobe to replicate due to its timeless quality. This is thanks to her character’s clever use of staple pieces and block colours. Be sure to stock up on high-neck tops, simple shift dresses, and neutral knitwear when emulating the stylish bookworm.

Signature piece: the endlessly versatile turtleneck

Hilary Banks – The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

An often-overlooked style icon of the 90s, the eldest Banks daughter consistently impressed each episode with her confident approach to fashion. She was never afraid to make a statement with her outfits and incorporate unorthodox pieces into her looks. To channel Hilary, simply glide across campus in a tailored blazer and colour-coordinating skirt, topped off with an eye-catching hat – be it bucket, baker-boy or beanie.

Signature piece: the style-with-substance hat

Andy Sachs – The Devil Wears Prada

Following her fashion metamorphosis, the aspiring journalist-turned-assistant, Andy Sachs, struts through New York in a montage of enviable designer looks. She favours outfits with a lot going on, so the key to replicating her style is saying yes to more. Add a fitted jumper over your shirt, pile on another piece of jewelry, and embrace outerwear.

Signature piece: the ready-to-layer white shirt

Rob Brooks – High Fidelity

Zoë Kravitz brought her effortless approach to dressing to her High Fidelity character’s closet, resulting in reams of outfits that automatically made us question whether we’re cool enough to copy. Zoë confidently mixed prints and fabric textures but faithfully kept a pair of relaxed straight-leg jeans and glossy ankle boots in rotation. Likewise, find a trusty pair of trousers and switch up your look with a striking shirt or graphic tee.

Signature piece: the nonchalant leather coat

Lara Jean Covey – To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Lara Jean navigates her various love triangles throughout the film series impeccably dressed in collegiate looks that infuse bright colours and bold patterns into vintage silhouettes. To imitate some of her most autumn-appropriate looks, offset adorable knitwear, preppy shirts, and pleated skirts with a pair of chunky combat boots. Lara Jean’s style is so full of joy and colour that taking inspiration from her will give you a pre-lecture serotonin boost.

Signature piece: effortlessly cool combat boots

Beth Harmon – The Queen’s Gambit

Chess prodigy, Beth Harmon, knew how to draw attention both with her chess genius and her winning outfits. Her style developed as the TV series progressed, culminating with a monochromatic ensemble that focused on a pristine white knee-length coat. By wearing a killer coat, it almost doesn’t matter what’s underneath. However, if you want to complete your look in a Beth-approved way, don a sleek fitted jumper and flared skirt.

Signature piece: the sharply structured coat

Ransom Drysdale – Knives Out

Possibly the most unexpected, yet not unwanted, style moment of 2019 came when Chris Evans swaggered into the frame of the murder mystery film, Knives Out. His character was clad in the most quintessentially autumnal piece of clothing – the humble cable knit sweater. His classic ecru version, which featured a thick braided knit, set the internet ablaze with tweets, memes, and stan accounts. Put your own spin on the seasonal staple by wearing it cropped or sleeveless.

Signature piece: the classic cable knit sweater

A psychology student who loves all things fashion, film and fiction