This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The 00s was an amazing time for music. It created some of the greatest pop artists ever and I still find myself replaying the same tunes from this era over and over again. They provide me with a sense of consistency and familiarity in this moment when that’s been thrown out the window because of You Know What. Here are some of the songs and artists I can’t get enough of at the moment:

Taylor Swift

Like every kid who grew up in the noughties, I too had a T. Swift craze. I read articles about her in Mizz (which I’ve only just figured out is meant to sound like ‘Ms’) and had posters cut out from Girl Talk (which I mostly bought for the freebies inside). Now it seems like those years have circled round again and I am obsessed with evermore and folklore, probably two of the best surprise album drops of late. While it’s difficult to pick favourites, here are the tracks I’ve had on repeat: seven, betty, exile and evermore (both featuring Bon Iver), dorothea, willow, and no body, no crimefeat. Haim.

Little Mix

I think every girl I knew in secondary school had a Little Mix phase. (Side note: Did they used to be called something else or did I completely make that up?) Wings was the go-to choice to choreograph any dance competition number to and I’m pretty sure Change Your Life was the backing track to at least three different adverts. For some reason I stopped listening to their music and I honestly could not tell you why. They make straight up bangers. DNAPowerSecret Love Song? Absolute tunes. Little MeSaluteSweet Melody? Amazing. They give me the serotonin boosts I really need right now.

Little Mix \"Glory Days\" tour performance
Photo by marcen27 distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

Katy Perry

I admit that I’ve criminally underrated Katy Perry for too long now. This woman is the mastermind behind some of the greatest tunes ever. I’m talking Hot N’ Cold, California Gurls, Last Friday Night. Plus, you can’t deny that FireworkPart of Me and E. T. are some of the best songs to blast out loud and sing along to. Not to mention Wide AwakeUnconditionally and (from her newest album) Daisies. If you’re having a bad day, go put on Firework and tell me you don’t at least feel a teensy bit better!

Rihanna

I know, I know, I can’t believe I ever stopped listening to Rihanna either, but it happened. (In fairness, her last album drop was ANTI in 2016…) She used to be on repeat on my Ultimate Pop Princesses CD (remember CDs?). I didn’t know what S&M was about, but I used to scream those lyrics while Rihanna played out of my mini purple CD/cassette player. Now in 2020, I’m back onto Good Girl Gone Bad, Take A Bow, Shut Up and Drive, California King Bed, Unfaithful and Stay – all the classics. Love On The Brain also has a special place in my heart.

Miley Cyrus

In a similar vein to Taylor Swift, coming back to Miley is like coming back home. More than ten years ago I went to see the Hannah Montana movie in the cinema and spent the rest of the afternoon learning the choreography to the Hoedown Throwdown and had a Can’t Be Tamed poster ripped from a magazine stuck to my bedroom wall. Now, I’m back listening her and loving every second of it. I’m in love with her latest album Plastic Hearts (especially Angels Like You, Hate Me, Never Be Me, and Midnight Sky) but I also find myself listening to her single Slide Away from 2019 as well as Malibu and Younger Now from 2017.

miley cyrus
Miley Cyrus / Giphy

Avril Lavigne

Complicated and Sk8ter Boi used to be the soundtracks to long car rides and now they provide the backing to my walks around the block. However and whenever I listen to them, Avril never goes out of style. Looking for some classic 2000s pop/rock? What the Hell, I Always Get What I Want and Girlfriend have got your back. Looking for something more soulful? Tell Me It’s Over and Keep Holding On tick all the boxes. Want to go on an emotional journey? Head Above the Water is the way to go. Simple Ballad? I’m with You. Honestly, Avril has something for everyone and every occasion.

While I admit this list may be basic AF, I refuse to back down from my choices. These are the songs that make me feel happy right now and we all need a little bit of that in our lives. So why not put your earphones in and spice up your life with some 00s goodness.

hobbies include: writing in lowercase letters and watching fleabag, grey's anatomy and louis theroux