Andrew Ross and Ben Upton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With their big Varsity coming up in three weeks time, HCX decided to catch up with two of the stars of Exeter University Men’s Hockey Club.

Allow me to introduce you to this week’s campus celebrity double bill, Ben Upton and Andrew Ross; both second years, they have been playing hockey for the university since their fresher year. Currently, they are both members of the 1st team, Andrew as right-half and Ben as centre-half. In their spare time they jointly coach the 3rd team and Ben is Stash Secretary. Ben studies Ancient History and Andrew Human Geography.

To start off with, how did you two boys get into hockey originally?

BU: Well it was a sport offered by my school from a young age. It started as a compulsory sport, however when I got older I chose to play more both in and out of school.

AR: My parents threw me into sport, my Dad was a keen rugby player, and liked the idea of me playing and being good at sport. Over the years Hockey developed into the one I was best at so I stuck with it.

What would you say your highlight has been so far whilst being a member of EUMHC?

BU: For me it would have to be winning BUCS Gold last year 3-2, against Durham. That match came after beating Loughborough in the semi, last years knockout big match, obviously a great achievement!

AR: I would have to say getting selected to play for 1st team in the National League, I had never played at that level before and the team was quite prestigious so I felt honoured.

What do you get up to apart from Hockey?

AR: Literally my degree and hockey, apart from the social side of who I live with and the social side of hockey I don’t really have time for anything else.

BU: Same with me really… God we are so boring!

If your housemates had to describe you in three words what would they be?

[At this point Ben gets his phone out to text his housemates to find out, so we could guarantee an authentic answer!]

BU: Reliable, Conscientious and Skilful

AR: Energetic, confident and driven

If you had to choose a favourite night out in Exeter (obviously not including hockey socials and Wednesday TP), which one would it be?

AR: Probably Friday night Timepiece, because its one of the main opportunities I get to spend time with my housemates outside of hockey. Mondays and Thursdays we can’t go out due to our early morning gym sessions, so Friday is the only option… Also I love Timepiece!

BU: Friday night is also my favourite as my house and another do “Come Dine With Me” where two of us cook for everyone. It’s a good chance to catch up with mates and chat, as we don’t really have a chance to during the week.

So you both coach the 3rd team, between the two of you who is good cop and who is bad cop?

Both unanimously decided on the coaching dynamics- Ben is good cop and Andrew is bad cop.

AR: Ben is probably nicer and he does the more tactical side of the coaching, teaching dynamics etc.

BU: Andrew is the motivator and disciplinarian, he talks to the team about maintaining tempo and standards.

Do you have any pre-match rituals or habits?

AR: I must admit, I have quite a few! Mainly tying up my shoelaces- everything done to the left foot has to be done to the right foot. Also when drag-flicking in a game I always touch the turf before and also before the start of a game.

BU: For me it is the warm up. We always do ladders to get our footwork going, and every time I will do two straight runs using only the left ladder and then one more time side to side- that’s it!

So what are the big plans post-university?

AR: I don’t have any immediate plans. Although probably the most interesting thing I will do is hopefully go back to Sydney, I played for Sydney University’s Hockey team for 5 months during my gap year. I enjoyed it so much that I aim to go back within 4 years of finishing uni here.

BU: I don’t really have any plans, despite the fact that Ancient History is an extremely employable degree! However if I don’t get any jobs offers I will hopefully take a year out and go travelling.

If a film was going to be made on you, which actor would you choose to star as yourself?

[Andrew was very quick to answer this one…]

AR: Channing Tatum. He’s a model male icon.

BU: It’s a toss up between Paul Bettany and Rupert Penry-Jones, however I would have to go with Paul; mainly because they are both blonde, English and have a dry sense of humour.

And finally why should the readers of HCX come and watch the hockey varsity?

BU: Because it’s the last game of the season and the top of table is so tight that it will decide who gets promoted and who stays down in the Western Conference.

AR: Also, because it is the battle of the Top of the league teams, it is the best standard of competitive team sport you will witness at the university.

So there you have it ladies, all you need to know about the lovely men of EUMHC. And with the varsity only weeks away, HCX promises to keep you informed, watch this space for an article explaining all the rules for the more clueless readers.

Good luck boys and see you there!

Photos from the Exeter AU website, and facebook.