Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Ancient Love: What Echo and Narcissus Can Teach Us About Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Our next couple under the microscope in the Ancient Love series is Echo and Narcissus, who just like Persephone and Hades, started out with a little bit of stalking. Echo, deemed the ‘talkative nymph’, had her voice taken away from her when she tricked the goddess Juno and was cursed to only ever be able to echo the words someone else had said. She meets Narcissus while he was out on a deer hunt and fell deeply in love with him without ever saying her own words.

Let’s have a look at their relationship:

1. Lurking isn’t flirting

Echo really champions love at first sight. Enough so that after seeing Narcissus for the first time she thinks it’s a good idea to follow him while on his hunt until he is separated and he finally calls out, giving her the chance to chat back. Firstly, stalking a potential love interest (or anyone) is always a red flag and I know she can’t speak but wouldn’t a wave have been enough?!

2. Echo can only repeat what narcissus says to her

We all know a strong relationship grows from good communication, so as poor Echo can only repeat what Narcissus says we’re not off to a great start. Echo and Narcissus are also on very different pages when it comes to the status of their relationship: Echo is unable to declare her undying love on day one but is physically unable to tell him how she feels, whereas Narcissus just wants to get back to the boys. This leads to some awkward encounters and ultimately leaves Echo quite heartbroken.

3. Narcissus just isn’t that into echo

Clearly something about Narcissus’ appearance alone is enough for Echo to know she wants to be in a serious relationship with Narcissus, but as it probably is for most people Narcissus could do with getting to know her better. Everyone moves at their own pace. But when Echo takes Narcissus’ instruction for her to stop hiding in the shadows as a reciprocation of her feelings, it irked Narcissus. Enthusiasm is great, but she should have waited until Narcissus was ready.

4. Narcissus only loved himself

Self-love is important. We should all be able to hype ourselves up when we catch our reflection looking fabulous in the mirror, but Narcissus takes that step too far. Narcissus, feeling a bit thirsty after all that hunting, thought he’d have a drink from the river but when he caught a glimpse of his reflection fell madly in love…with himself. Obviously, his reflection can’t love him back, so when he realises that he cannot win the objective of his desire he kills himself. 

5. Echo, it’s time to move on

Although they had only known each other for a day and Narcissus had shown no evidence of reciprocating Echo’s feelings – quite the opposite actually – Echo stayed mourning Narcissus’ body until she too wasted away and turned to stone. Everyone heals in different ways and getting over a failed relationship is always hard, but it serves as a good reminder that sometimes a bit of distance from the situation is needed.

Conclusion

Neither Echo nor Narcissus got a happy ending. After his death, Narcissus’ body turned into a flower and all that remained of Echo was the sound of her voice.

What can we learn from echo and Narcissus?

Loving someone who doesn’t love us back is never fun. But in the early stages of a relationship it’s best to do the exact opposite of Echo and tell the other person how you’re feeling so you can build a mutual relationship from there.

We can also learn that inevitably some relationships don’t work out, but that doesn’t mean we have to perish and waste away. 

Holly Peters

Exeter '22

I'm a Masters student studying Creative Writing who doesn't need any encouragement to talk at length about the recent band I've just discovered, my dogs or Paul Rudd movies.