Alternative Valentine’s Date – Double Locks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

By Nicola Hatfield

At Exeter we’re lucky enough to be blessed with an array of cosy, authentic and traditional pubs, many only a stroll away and others simply a short car journey away. The beauty with pubs is not only the local gourmet delicacies, but the uniqueness of them – not commercialized chains or bog standard menus, but a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. What many may describe as the perfect venue for a date…

One pub, famously known amongst the Devon region is the Double Locks, located on the quay, about a 15 minute drive away from Exeter city centre. It’s certainly not a pub that one would stumble upon, adding to the beauty of it. No rowdy men ordering pints at the bar. No background noise of constant traffic.

To get to the pub you have to navigate yourself through an industrial retail park, at which point many people may think they’ve gone the wrong way and decide to turn around – don’t! Keep going and you’ll be required to wiggle and maneuver the car around a narrow, windy road leading up to potentially the narrowest bridge possible for a car. Once over the bridge the pub will shortly be in sight.

The idea to many of us of sitting in a restaurant on Valentines Day, surrounded by numerous loved up, soppy couples is far from appealing. Double Locks is the perfect alternative. It is unlikely that you will bump into other couples who you may awkwardly know or are trying to avoid. Not only is there a wide range of food to choose from but it’s the perfect chance to try something new and get out of the Exeter bubble for a lovely meal with your date or even friends.

id=”_x0000_s1027″ style=’position:absolute;margin-left:0;margin-top:0;
width:280.25pt;height:194.55pt;z-index:251658240;mso-wrap-distance-left:12pt;
mso-wrap-distance-top:12pt;mso-wrap-distance-right:12pt;
mso-wrap-distance-bottom:12pt;mso-position-horizontal:center;
mso-position-horizontal-relative:text;mso-position-vertical:absolute;
mso-position-vertical-relative:line’ coordsize=”21600,21600″ strokeweight=”1pt”>

o:title=””/>

The food isn’t too pricey and the options available are endless; ranging from “light meals” to “shared platters” and even an individual “Beer list”, enabling the males to show off their macho side! Although pubs don’t shout out healthy, organic or nutritious, I think it’s ok to splurge every now and then! And what better occasion to do so than on Valentines Day! Despite the fact not all of us will be taken out for a meal on the day, by no means does this suggest we can’t go to Double Locks either!

The only thing to note is that it closes earlier than most pubs due to it’s location, so if you’re planning on going in the evening then check before hand in order to get your timings right! Give it a try and check it out for yourselves and enjoy the traditional setting of one of Exeter’s famous pubs.

Image Credits: flickr.com