Aimee Corry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Our writers for Her Campus are such busy bee’s. Not only do they consitently write fantastic articles for you all to read but they also juggle this with other extra-curricula activities! This week’s campus celeb is no different-meet our health and fitness writer Aimee Corry!

Name: Aimee Corry

Year: 2

Course: Drama

Hi Aimee, firstly how does it feel to be campus celebrity?

It’s pretty nice to be given celebrity status for the day haha

We are very excited about your upcoming dance show ‘Blink’, tell us a little bit more about it?

Thanks! Blink is part of the RAW platform for graduates putting on work at the Northcott Theatre. Jasmine Rickets, our director, was inspired by a documentary looking at something called locked-in syndrome, which is a type of brain injury. It looks at how family and friends, as well as the patients, are affected by the syndrome, purely through movement.

That sounds great, where can we buy tickets?

Online at the Northcott website.

What interested you in auditioning for the piece? Have you always been interested in dance?

I’ve always done dance from when I was little so not doing it now would feel very strange! We actually performed the piece last year as well in the term 3 drama festival, but have re worked it for the big stage. I prefer physical pieces over acting, so when I read about a dance piece based on the human mind and locked-in syndrome I was instantly interested.

Before you perform do you have any pre-show rituals? If so, what are these?

Usually I spend the hour before going on stage freaking myself out, and the rest of the cast. I get really bad nerves and just end up going through choreography/ talking to myself.

How would you recommend get involved in dancing at Exeter?

Dance Society has a huge variety of classes every week and some great opportunities to perform through out the year, with all levels of ability hugely welcome. Also, look out next term for drama shows that are being put on, you don’t have to be a drama student to audition!

Favourite dance moves in the clubs?

A lot of fist pumping happens at TP!

Do you have any dancing plans for the summer? If so, tell us more about these?

This year has been packed full of dancing as I was hip-hop rep for the dance society and also took a dance module for my course. So, I think I’m going to give dancing a break and get stuck back in for third year.

Where is your favourite place in Exeter?

Although I haven’t been for so long, I think it’ll have to be the quay…when it’s sunny. Otherwise top, top TP.

What is your favourite memory from Exeter so far?

That’s the hardest question ever! I think it’s still got to be from back in first year when everyone on my floor had their first night out together. Awkward pre-drinks quickly escalated.

If you could tell a Fresher one piece of advice, what would it be?

Say thank you every day for being a fresher.