A Review of Exeter University Theatre Company’s (EUTCo) ‘Frankenstein’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I was given the opportunity to see ‘Frankenstein’ at The Northcott Theatre last night. Having previously enjoyed reading Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein, I was eager to see it reimagined on stage. I’d also seen The National Theatre’s ‘Frankenstein’ starring Benedict Cumberbatch a few years ago, but that wasn’t to my liking. So, I was hoping to see a stage production of ‘Frankenstein’ that ignited the same fondness I held for the novel. 

The Northcott Theatre’s ‘Frankenstein’ was wholeheartedly a pleasure to watch. It was emotive, atmospheric, and at times, funny. The play opened with Frankenstein’s monster curled under a sheet of plastic while dramatic music played as the ensemble swirled around the creature. Having read Frankenstein a few years ago, I was delighted at how well this production brought it back in my mind. The production invoked great sympathy for Frankenstein’s monster, as well as for Victor Frankenstein himself, driven mad with both power and fear from creating such a being. 

I was particularly impressed with the stamina of the actor who played Frankenstein’s monster, remaining on stage for nearly all of the first half of the play and delivering such powerful acting. EUTCo’s ‘Frankenstein’ even had a short musical number, which was a surprise. Although it was unexpected, I liked the humour in the play, it perfectly eased some of the tension created from this otherwise sad story. In particular, the grave robbing scene in which two actors left the stage and hauled a dead body between the isles of the theatre got a lot of laughs from the audience. 

The costumes in this play were also interesting. The ensembles costumes were a mix of white shirts, corsets, and lace. Reminiscent of the 18th century, but with a slight bondage element which was quite fun. Elizabeth wore a skeletal wire caged underskirt, placed over her dress giving her costume a gothic twist, fitting for the narrative. Frankenstein’s monster wore a garment similar to this in the final scene, this time as a type of corset that was overlapped with chains. Perhaps representing the struggle between Victor and his monster, as the creature absorbs and destroys everything Victor Frankenstein loves, a fitting punishment for his foolish ego-driven meddling with the powers of nature. The weight of living becomes too much for both Frankenstein and monster, and the play ends with the two actors in crushing defeat as they surrender to the elements and to one another. 

EUTCo’s ‘Frankenstein’ at The Northcott Theatre was beautiful to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed this intense rendition that nailed this gothic story about love, creation, and power. 

MSc Marketing student at Exeter University with an interest in romance literature, food, arts & culture.