A Guide to Vintage Clothes Shopping in Exeter

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This year, I am making it my mission to shop more sustainably and consciously. A few years ago, I would only buy second-hand clothes, and loved feeling like I was making a difference to the planet by not buying new clothes and owning more unique pieces that nobody else had. Recently, I have fallen away from doing this, and spend a lot of money in fast fashion shops. So, this list is to remind you and myself that there are lots of second-hand, sustainable shops in Exeter that are worth checking out.  

1. Sobeys Vintage Clothing

Sobeys is an independent chain of shops specialising in vintage and reworked clothing, located in Gandy Street. They have stores in Exeter, Cardiff, Bristol, and Bath, so you might have seen or visited one elsewhere! They sell all manner of clothes, including original vintage pieces as well as reworked clothing and accessories, where retro clothes are upcycled into something different, to give them a new burst of life. I’ve had my eye on their reworked Carhartt tote bags for ages, so I think I might have to spend my Christmas money on one!  

2. Parade vintage

Parade Vintage is located right by Exeter Central Station and sells lots of retro sportswear clothes. Brands range from Nike to Ralph Lauren to The North Face, so there really is something for everyone. they also sell lots of accessories and jewellery, making it the perfect place for gifts too. They often showcase their pieces on their Instagram, so you can get a feel of the clothes before popping in if you prefer. Definitely check them out if you are searching for that perfect football top or retro sweatshirt! 

flamingo’s vintage

Flamingo’s Vintage is probably my favourite vintage shop in Exeter. They only opened in the summer, so are still relatively new, based in Gandy Street again. most of their stock is individually priced, but there is a whole section dedicated to a kilo sale, where clothes are priced at £20, £30, and £40 per kilo. This is a great concept, and makes second-hand shopping really fun. They sell all kinds of styles, including sports jerseys, branded tees and sweatshirts, and true vintage jackets. I’ve got some of my favourite pieces from Flamingo’s Vintage and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to try shopping second-hand this year.  

the real mccoy

The Real McCoy is tucked away in McCoy’s Arcade on Fore Street, nestled between Sacred Grounds and Bookbag. They pride themselves on being Exeter’s oldest vintage shop, and have a wonderful range of pieces from across the 1900s. Here, you can buy leather jackets, Levi’s jeans, and original, stylish vintage pieces. The Real McCoy would also be great if you had a vintage-themed party, such as Gatsby-inspired, as they have lots of original 1920s pieces which would be perfect for a costume or spicing up a regular outfit.  

my ex wardrobe

This feels a bit insincere to include because I’ve never actually shopped at My Ex Wardrobe. This is a shop which specialises in pre-loved vintage and designer clothes, which isn’t really my style. However, they also sell prom and formal attire, so they are great for balls or even graduations! They are again located in Gandy Street, making this a great place to visit to have a little shopping spree. I would recommend anyone who is into more luxury, high-end fashion to check out My Ex Wardrobe, as you may find a perfect designer piece which you have been searching for. They also have a blog online where they showcase their in-store pieces and discuss them in relation to current fashion trends, giving great inspiration for your look!  

I hope you have enjoyed reading about Exeter’s vintage clothes shops and perhaps feel inspired to visit some this year. Second-hand shopping truly is so much better for the environment and allows you to acquire unique, one-of-a-kind pieces. So, try out some of these shops this year if you want to spruce up your wardrobe and make a difference to the planet this year!  

Abi Manley

Exeter '25

Hi, I'm Abi! I'm a Sociology student who loves reading, music and cooking.