9 Love Songs to Listen to this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s finally spring in Exeter, and soon, since we’ll reach new temperature highs of above 5°C, the sliders and beach shorts will be out all over campus. Here at HCX, we thought you might be needing that perfect romantic playlist to listen to on the train home for Easter; in the first days sat outside, pretending that it’s summer; or even just walking to campus in the mornings.

It can be difficult to find romantic songs that don’t make you cringe completely, or angry cry about that ex from three years ago. So, we’ve done it for you! Enjoy!

She’s Always a Woman- Billy Joel

If you’re looking for that classic love song to make you shed a tear or two, (or, you know… ten), this is the one. Billy Joel wrote this song about his first wife, Elizabeth, whom he was married to from 1973-1982. She also worked in the music industry, and Billy saw her take a lot of stick from colleagues and even friends. This led him to write this song in defense of his wife. If that doesn’t make you believe in true love, what does?

Chasing Rubies- Hudson Taylor

A song from the Irish brothers who captured many hearts the past few festival seasons. Appearing in the 2013 movie, The Host, it has an incredibly optimistic take on love. Needing that something to keep you in a good mood with all the revision this Easter? This is perfect!

Iris- The Goo Goo Dolls

An older tune, “Iris” captured the hearts of England in 1998, becoming a bestseller for the Goo Goo Dolls. Everyone loves a good nostalgic song (*see Cheesy Tuesdays for reference*), and you know your flatmates will join you for a girly night, drinking, eating and singing along to this love song in particular.

There She Goes- The La’s

That guitar intro will get you into the spring mood every time- no question! Something about the days getting warmer and longer and lighter is perfectly replicated in this song. And a springtime romance? Who doesn’t want one of those, if it appears?

Grow Old With Me- Tom Odell

Possibly not the song to listen to right after a breakup- tissues are advised. This song is heartfelt and certainly has no pretences about love- perfect for those days where you want to forget about deadlines and curl up with a good book or Romcom. Tom, you certainly know how to pen a banging ballad.

Perfect- Ed Sheeran

To be honest, any of Ed Sheeran’s new album, Divide, would be appropriate for this playlist and here at HCX, we’re absolutely loving it right now! “Perfect” is possibly the most truthful love song out there at the moment, and is a great addition to any springtime playlist.

El Perdón- Nicky Jam, Enrique Iglesias

Spanish: the language of passion and romance itself. Voted the sexiest language in the world recently, this song proves why. An upbeat love song, this will make you think of summer days on the Costa del Sol, lazing in the sun with a margarita in hand, and maybe a nice view of a lifeguard or two?!

Cleopatra- The Lumineers

“Cleopatra”, The Lumineer’s second studio album, is full to the brim with empowered female characters. And the title song is no different. A love song from a female perspective is definitely refreshing. This song is definitely one to listen to on that long train journey home.

Ain’t No Sunshine- Bill Withers

Ending with a classic is a must. Who hasn’t sung along to this bright love song at least once in their life? Withers, incredibly, was still working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s when he wrote this song. What more perfect inspiration for a (let’s be honest, probably rainy) spring day, and if you’re missing someone, it will certainly strike a chord too.

We hope you enjoy all these romantic songs this spring and that you won’t be getting through too many tissues in the meantime!

Third year English student and aspiring journalist! My talents include; successfully quoting almost any Friends episode; getting excited about Christmas in October, (every year without fail), and owning one too many Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I mean, is there such a thing as too many?!