9 Haute Couture Dresses to Inspire Your Halloween Costume

With hundreds of costume ideas you are spoilt for choice when it comes to the biggest opportunity of the year to dress up, Halloween. The occasion gets even bigger with Exeter University’s biggest Halloween event coming up ‘The Enchanted Forest’. The enchanted forest in terms of clothing brings to mind witches, fairies, nymphs and other mythical creatures from the forest, dressed in mysterious lace, glittering beads and chiffon veils. So it is time to start getting creative and strive to be the best dressed for the night of the dead.

However, when looking for a costume it can be hard to find something original amongst the many thousand other students. So the best place to start when planning and designing your costume is to look at some of the major designers’ haute couture collections to get inspired. With a grand array of beautifully haunting dresses, you will not be stuck for ideas.

Marchesa

The striking asymmetric lace and bead work combined with the ruched tulle, to create a high collar, are a classic vampish look. With the skin tight bodice and fish tail style draping bottom this dress will definitely create a striking silhouette under the moonlight.

Elie Saab

Why not try something different this year, loose the black and switch to a moonlight white.  The haunting layers of chiffon form a ghostly cape around the figure emphasising the low V-neck and tight waist. The gorgeous speckled bead work adds a ghostly shimmer creating the illusion of water droplets on a spiders web.

Chanel

The simplicity of shape emphasises the main feature of the dress across the neckline and hems, showing that perhaps all you need is a little detail to liven up a costume. The feather like trimming adds a spooky texture to the dress adding a feral touch for the forest.

Christian Dior

This is certainly a moonlit wonder with a large tulle skirt and sparkly avant-garde head-dress. The Perspex scale disks create a smooth corset giving a quirky twist to the traditional corpse bride.

Elie Saab

This is another beautiful dress with the close fitting chiffon around the bodice and arms add a ghostly effect. This is a great style if you are looking for a more elegant conserved costume. Yet with the detailed beadwork you certainly will not get lost in the shadows.